Apple Caramel Spice Bars
Makes 24 servings. Recipe is by Holly Clegg from her Gulf Coast Favorites cookbook.
1 (18.25-ounce) box spice cake mix
1 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
½ cup butter, melted
⅓ cup chopped pecans
2 baking apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
1 cup fat-free caramel flavored topping
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Coat a 13-by-9-by-2-inch baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
2. In a bowl, combine cake mix and oatmeal. Add egg and butter and blend with pastry blender or fork until crumbly. Reserve one cup crumb mixture, add pecans to it, set aside.
3. Pat remaining mixture into prepared pan, bake 6 minutes. Remove from oven and place apples evenly over crust.
4. In small bowl, mix together caramel topping and flour, pour evenly over apples. Sprinkle with remaining pecan crumb mixture.
5. Bake 30 minutes or until bubbly and sides pull away from edges. Don’t overcook.
Nutritional information per serving: Calories 196, calories from fat 31 percent, fat 7 g, saturated fat 3 g, cholesterol 19 mg, sodium 207 mg, carbohydrate 32 g, dietary fiber 1 g, sugars 18 g, protein 2 g. Diabetic exchanges: 2 carbohydrate, 1½ fat