- WHAT: The Hospice of Baton Rouge H.O.P.E. Grief Support Group meeting
- WHEN: 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 18
- WHERE: Ochsner Medical Center Chapel, 17000 Medical Center Drive, Baton Rouge
- REGISTER/INFO: Denise Domingue at (225) 767-4673
- DETAILS: This free support group provides a safe place for sharing and growth. Group facilitator is social worker Christine Brasseaux.
NAMI STATE CONFERENCE
- WHAT: National Alliance on Mental Illness state conference
- WHEN: 11 a.m. to 3 p.m. Friday, April 22; 9 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 23
- WHERE: First United Methodist Church, 930 North Blvd., Baton Rouge
- REGISTER/INFO: eventbrite.com or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- DETAILS: Sen. Bill Cassidy will give the keynote address. CEUs for social workers & counselors available.
HEALTHY MEALS DEMO
- WHAT: Free healthy cooking demonstration
- WHEN: 11 a.m. Thursday, April 28
- WHERE: A.C. Lewis YMCA, 350 S. Foster Drive, Baton Rouge
- REGISTER/INFO: Janene Grodesky at (225) 924-3606 or email email@example.com
- DETAILS: Learn techniques to prepare healthy meals, taste samples and win prizes.
- WHAT: Walk MS Baton Rouge, 1-mile fully accessible route
- WHEN: Saturday, April 30. Site opens at 8 a.m.; walk begins at 9 a.m.
- WHERE: North Boulevard Town Square, downtown Baton Rouge
- REGISTER/INFO: WalkMS.org, (855) 372-1331 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- DETAILS: Proceeds will support cutting-edge MS research and services to help people living with MS. Multiple sclerosis, an unpredictable, often disabling disease of the central nervous system, interrupts the flow of information within the brain, and between the brain and body. Symptoms range from numbness and tingling to blindness and paralysis. The progress, severity and specific symptoms of MS cannot yet be predicted. Most people with MS are diagnosed between the ages of 20 and 50, with two to three times more women than men being diagnosed with the disease. MS affects more than 2.3 million worldwide.
DIABETES EDUCATION SERIES
- WHAT: A series of free diabetes education classes
- WHEN: Noon May 2, May 9, May 16
- WHERE: Humana Guidance Center, 10330 Airline Highway, Baton Rouge
- REGISTER/INFO: (225) 442-6100 or humana.com
- DETAILS: Classes will be led by Melanie McGourant-Courant, certified diabetes educator. Humana members and nonmembers may attend. The May 2 class is on the Basics of Diabetes, including understanding the disease, its risk factors and what you can do when diagnosed. The May 9 class focuses on Eating with Diabetes, including food choices and ways to enjoy eating while managing your diabetes, and the May 16 session is on Diabetes from Head to Toe, with information on complications of the disease and how to manage it on a day-to-day basis.