WOMEN & CANCER
- WHAT: Two classes dealing with women and cancer
- WHEN: Thursday, Oct. 9 — 6-7 p.m. “Sexuality and Intimacy During Cancer Treatment”; 7:15-8:15 p.m. “Makeup 101 During Cancer Treatment”
- WHERE: Women’s Center for Wellness, 9637 Jefferson Highway, Baton Rouge
- REGISTRATION/INFO: womans.org
- DETAILS: The first session deals with how cancer treatments can affect sexuality and how to manage these changes to maintain intimacy with your partner, with Dr. Kay Solar; the makeup session offers tips on how to address skincare during cancer, with cosmetologist Olga Longorio.
- WHAT: HIV and syphilis testing
- WHEN & WHERE: Dr. Leo S. Butler Community Center, 950 E. Washington St., offers HIV testing from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mondays-Thursdays and syphilis testing from 2-4 p.m. on Wednesdays; Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Community Center, 4000 Gus Young Ave., offers testing from 9 a.m. to noon on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays, from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Wednesdays and from 8:30 a.m. to noon on Fridays; Delmont Service Center, 3535 Riley St., offers testing from 2-4 p.m. every third Wednesday; and EKL Mid-City, North Foster at Gus Young Avenue, offers testing from 9-11 a.m. and 4-7 p.m. on Tuesdays.
- DETAILS: Tests are free, anonymous and confidential.
BIG CAJUN TRIATHLON
- WHAT: Big Cajun Olympic Triathlon
- WHEN: 7:30 a.m. Sunday, Oct. 12
- WHERE: Morrison Parkway Boat Ramp, New Roads
- REGISTRATION: active.com/new-roads-la/water-sports/swimming-races/big-cajun-triathlon-du-and-swim-2014
DETAILS: Swim 1,500 meters, bike 24.9 miles and swim 1,500 meters, or just come out and watch the athletes go for it.