The last day to apply for a grant under the new “Love Your Block” neighborhood improvement program is July 29, according to a release from the Mayor-President’s Office.
Up to $750 can be awarded for projects including community gardens, landscaping, murals, cleanup or signage, the release says.
The program, sponsored by The Home Depot Foundation and Exxon Mobil Corporation, will provide up to 20 grants to neighborhoods seeking to fight blight, the release says.
To qualify for the grant, each group must:
• Represent a block within the city limits of Baton Rouge.
• Be volunteer-led. Eligible groups include, among others, neighborhood, tenant and block associations, as well as community garden groups and school- and church-based groups.
• Demonstrate the ability to mobilize a minimum of 10 neighborhood volunteers to take part in the “Love Your Block” project.
• Submit a “Love Your Block” application that includes signatures and phone numbers of at least 50 percent of the residents on the block.
• Send two representatives to a “Love Your Block” workshop in the fall.
ON THE INTERNET: