For the seventh consecutive year, The Advocate was named Louisiana’s best newspaper by the state press association.
Besides being named the state’s best newspaper, the Louisiana Press Association also awarded The Advocate the Freedom of Information award for its public records victory over the LSU Board of Supervisors secret search for a new chief executive.
The Advocate also won the Best Investigative Reporting award for the coverage of Louisiana State Penitentiary at Angola Warden Burl Cain’s investment partnership with two businessmen each seeking to help an inmate in the state prison system. The inmates later received beneficial actions from the warden.
Cain announced his retirement after the stories were published.
The association also awarded The Advocate first place in the Community Service competition for its special report on police response times, titled “NOPD: Call Waiting.” The New Orleans Advocate partnered with WWL-TV and analyzed every call for service taken by the police department since 2010, nearly 3 million records. The database was the end result of more than a year of public-records battles that involved negotiations with multiple city departments.
- Competing with the state’s largest newspapers, The Advocate also earned Best News Coverage and Best Lifestyle Coverage awards.
The Advocate’s Walt Handelsman swept the Individual Editorial Cartoon category.
- The Newspaper of the Year Award, based on the number of points earned in the Better Newspaper Editorial Competition and the Better Newspaper Advertising Competition for 2015, was presented at a luncheon Saturday during the Louisiana Press Association’s annual convention awards luncheon at L’Auberge in Lake Charles.
- THE ADVOCATE EDITORIAL AND ADVERTISING WINNERS ARE:
- BEST FRONT PAGE: 3rd Place, The Advocate
- BEST EDITORIAL PAGE: 1st place, Danny Heitman and Lanny Keller
- BEST SINGLE EDITORIAL: 1st place, Danny Heitman
- BEST FEATURE STORY: 1st place, Richard Burgess; 2nd place, Kyle Peveto; 3rd place, Ian McNulty
- BEST NEWS STORY: 2nd place, Rebekah Allen; 3rd place, Jim Mustian
- BEST SPORTS STORY: 1st place, John Simerman and Ramon Antonio Vargas; 2nd place, Ross Dellenger
- BEST BREAKING NEWS STORY: 3rd place, Staff
- BEST REGULAR COLUMN (SAM HANNA AWARD): 1st place, Stephanie Grace; 3rd place, James Gill
- BEST SPORTS COLUMN: 3rd place, Les East
- BEST LIFESTYLE COVERAGE: 1st place, Karen Martin and Judy Bergeron; 3rd place, Matthew Sigur
- BEST NEWS COVERAGE: 1st place, Staff
- BEST CONTINUING COVERAGE OF A SINGLE NEWS EVENT: 3rd place, Staff
- BEST INVESTIGATIVE REPORTING (GIBBS ADAMS AWARD): 1st place, Gordon Russell, Maya Lau and Steve Hardy
- BEST STORY GENERATED BY PUBLIC NOTICE: 2nd place, John Simerman; 3rd place, Steve Hardy
- MOST EFFECTIVE USE OF GRAPHIC DESIGN ON A SINGLE PAGE: 2nd place, Charles Chauff; 3rd place, Jay Martin
- BEST NEWS PHOTO: 1st place, Matthew Hinton; 2nd place, Hilary Scheinuk, 3rd place, Bill Feig
- BEST FEATURE PHOTO: 1st place, Matthew Hinton; 2nd place, Bill Feig
- BEST SPORTS PHOTO: 2nd place, Hilary Scheinuk
- BEST PHOTO PACKAGE: 1st place, Matthew Hinton and Scott Threlkeld
- COMMUNITY SERVICE / SERVICE TO READERS: 1st place, Staff
- FREEDOM OF INFORMATION: 1st place, The Advocate
- GENERAL EXCELLENCE: 2nd place, The Advocate
- STAFF GENERATED BLACK & WHITE AD: 1st place, Brian Golden
- BEST AD CAMPAIGN: 2nd place, Tim Elsea
- IN-PAPER PROMOTION: Charlene Robert and Brian Golden
- MULTIPLE ADVERTISER PAGE: 1st place, Staff; 2nd place, Staff
- BEST SELF-PROMOTION OUTSIDE OF PRINT: 2nd place, Charlene Robert; 3rd place, Charlene Robert
- BEST CLASSIFIED SECTION OR PAGE: 3rd place, The Advocate
- BEST SERVICE AD, NON-RETAIL: 1st place, Holly Kay
- BEST SUCCESS STORY OF AN AD: 1st place, Jeff Mendel; 2nd place, Christine Jones; 3rd place, Brian Golden
- BEST SPECIAL SECTION, ADVERTISING: 1st place, The Advocate; 2nd place, The Advocate
- BEST OVERALL WEBSITE: 2nd place, The Advocate
- BEST MULTIMEDIA ELEMENT-NEWS PACKAGE: 1st place, The Advocate digital desk; 2nd place, Jeff Adelson
- BEST MULTIMEDIA ELEMENT-FEATURE PACKAGE: 1st place, Ross Dellenger and The Advocate digital desk
- BEST ONLINE ADVERTISING SINGLE AD, STATIC: 1st place, Phillip Dequeant; 2nd place, Phillip Dequeant; 3rd place, Phillip Dequeant
- BEST ONLINE ADVERTISING SINGLE AD, ANIMATED: 1st place, Tim Elsea; 2nd place, Phillip Dequeant
- BEST ONLINE ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN: 3rd place, Phillip Dequeant
- BEST ONLINE HOUSE AD OR CAMPAIGN: 1st place, Phillip Dequeant; 2nd place Phillip Dequeant
The St. Francisville Democrat, one of The Advocate’s community papers, received the following awards at the luncheon:
- BEST FRONT PAGE: 1st place, The St. Francisville Democrat
- BEST SPORTS COLUMN: 1st place, Howard Arceneaux
- BEST OVERALL SPORTS COVERAGE: 1st place, The St. Francisville Democrat
- BEST NEWS COVERAGE: 2nd place, The St. Francisville Democrat
- BEST CONTINUING COVERAGE OF A SINGLE NEWS EVENT: 2nd place, Howard Arceneaux
- BEST PHOTO PACKAGE: 1st place, Brianna Paciorka
- BEST AD CAMPAIGN: 3rd place, Kristi Lynch
- BEST CLASSIFIED SECTION OR PAGE: 1st place, The St. Francisville Democrat
- BEST RETAILER AD: 1st place, Kristi Lynch