A West Baton Rouge Parish grand jury on Thursday declined to indict four Baton Rouge Police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man Aug. 5 following a low-speed chase from Baton Rouge to West Baton Rouge Parish.
The officers had already been cleared of any wrongdoing by the Police Department’s Internal Affairs Division.
Police spokesman Sgt. Donald Stone said Friday that no further action will be taken against the officers.
“They have been cleared of any wrongdoing by both the BRPD Internal Investigation and the grand jury,” Stone said.
Police Chief Dewayne White was unavailable for comment Friday.
The four officers — Paul Brown, 27; Richard McCloskey, 29; Nicholas Morgan, 31; and Joshua Ellis, 36 — followed Darryl Douglas Parault, 48, of Jarreau, after he refused to pull over his small pickup truck for a traffic violation on Airline Highway near Florida Boulevard, police have said.
Parault led police over the U.S. 190 Bridge to West Baton Rouge Parish, where he finally pulled over on U.S. 190 near La. 415, police have said.
As Parault got out of his truck, officers observed a gun in his hand and ordered him to drop it, police have said.
Parault refused to comply, so the officers shot him, police have said.
Parault died at the scene.
The officers were put on paid administrative leave following the incident and returned to work two weeks later, police have said.
Police investigators determined the officers followed the department’s policies and procedures, spokesman Cpl. L’Jean McKneely has said.
Louisiana State Police assisted with the investigation and submitted their findings to the 18th Judicial District Attorney’s Office, spokesman Lt. Doug Cain has said.
The West Baton Rouge District Attorney’s Office convened a grand jury to hear the incident “to make sure the public is comfortable with our findings” about the officer-related shooting, Assistant District Attorney Tony Clayton has said.