The hosts of Baton Rouge’s downtown Halloween Parade say they’ve changed the scheduled start time of the parade to 9:30 a.m. on Saturday because of the threat of severe weather. The parade had been scheduled for 2 p.m.
The change was made after consulting with local authorities, said Kelley Criscoe Stein, president of the 10/31 Consortium, a nonprofit group of Halloween enthusiasts.
“We want to make sure everyone is safe and has a good time,” Stein said.
She said the staging area for parade entrants opens at 7:30 a.m., with the parade ready to roll at 9:30 a.m. She said the after party will still be held at the Roux House on Third Street following the parade.
The Zombie Bash event — costumed races followed by a mass performance of Thriller — is still scheduled for 11:30 a.m. Saturday downtown but could be canceled if it’s lightning, according to event organizers.
“The only thing that will stop the zombies from crawling is lightning,” said Garland Goodwin Wilson, artistic director for the group Of Moving Colors.