OPENING THIS WEEK
- “CHARLES DICKENS’ A CHRISTMAS CAROL”: Opening Wednesday, through Sunday, Dec. 20; Nims Theatre, University of New Orleans, 2000 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans. John “Spud” McConnell brings Ebenezer Scrooge to life in the classic retelling of this heartwarming tale of redemption and holiday spirit. $15 and up. southernrep.com.
- “NEWSIES”: Opening 7:30 p.m. Tuesday to Thursday, Dec. 1-3, Sunday, Dec. 6; 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, Dec. 4-5; 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, Dec. 5-6; Saenger Theatre, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. Tony Award-winning musical about youngsters who hawked papers on the streets of New York until they united to fight for justice. $40 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “THE SNOW QUEEN”: Opening Friday, through Sunday, Dec. 13; Slidell Little Theatre, 2024 Nellie Drive, Slidell. Stage version of the classic Hans Christian Andersen story of the chilling royal, a frozen prisoner and his friend’s efforts to save him. $25 adults, $15 youth/students. (985) 641-0324. slidelllittletheatre.org.
- “THE VICTORY BELLES PRESENT A SWINGIN’ CHRISTMAS”: Opening Wednesday, through Dec. 30, various days; 11:45 a.m. seating for buffet, 12:45 p.m. show; Wednesday; BB’s Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. The canteens trio celebrates the holiday music that keep the spirit of the season burning during the war years. $30 and up. (504) 528-1944, ext. 273. nationalww2museum.org.
- “THE WINTER’S TALE”: Opening 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 1, running Tuesday through Sundays through Dec. 20; New Orleans Museum of Art, 1 Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. The NOLA Project brings one of Shakespeare’s most beautiful and haunting plays to life in the Great Hall of the museum. $30, $20 students/NOMA members/Backstage Pass members. (504) 302-9117. nolaproject.com.
- “THE AMAZING ACRO-CATS’ ‘MEOWY CATMUS IN MEW ORLEANS’ ”: Opening Friday, Dec. 4, 7:30 p.m., through Dec. 20; The Theatre at St. Claude, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. This troupe of former stray felines entertains with a holiday show. A portion of the proceeds are donated to animal welfare. $23 and up. (504) 638-6326. thetheatreatstclaude.com.
- “THE BLUEST EYE”: Opening Friday, Dec. 4, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 20; Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre, 616 St. Peter St., New Orleans. Stage adaptation of Toni Morrison’s work about the legacy of racism in a small Ohio town. $35 and up. (504) 522-2081. lepetittheatre.com.
- “A CRESCENT CITY CHRISTMAS”: Opening 7:30 p.m., Dec. 4, 10-12, Nims Black Box Theatre, New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. Second Star Performance Collective presents a premiere of Ren French’s Christmas Eve tale about a live radio broadcast at an orphanage. Opening night costumes encouraged, plus a raffle for prizes. $20. secondstarperformancecollective.com.
- “FANCY NANCY’S SPLENDIFEROUS CHRISTMAS”: Opening Dec. 4, 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 1 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, 11 a.m. Saturdays, through Dec. 13; Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. Based on the popular children’s book, Fancy Nancy is back with a holiday tale, full of music and merriment. Special tea and brunch offerings Dec. 5-6, separate charge. $16. (504) 461-9475. rivertowntheaters.com.
- “HAPPY END”: Opening Dec. 10, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays, through Dec. 19; AllWays Lounge, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill’s follow-up to “The Threepenny Opera,” this show is a variation on the classic good and evil battle. $20 and up. (504) 218-5778. theallwayslounge.com.
- “SISTER ACT”: Opening Friday, Dec. 4, 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 2 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 13; Jefferson Performing Arts Center, 6400 Airline Drive, Metairie. The popular movie about a lounge singer and an order of nuns comes to life on stage in this Tony Award-winning musical. $40 and up. (504) 885-2000. jpas.org.
“6X6 — THE NEW PLAY SLAM”: OPENING WEDNESDAY, DEC. 9, 7:30 P.M. THE THEATRE AT ST. CLAUDE, 2240 ST. CLAUDE AVE., NEW ORLEANS. SOUTHERN REP PRESENTS SIX 10-MINUTE ONE-ACT PLAYS BASED ON A COMMON THEME. (504) 522-6545. SOUTHERNREP.COM.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, La Nuit Comedy Theatre, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
- NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Neutral Ground Coffee House, 5110 Danneel St., New Orleans. (504) 891-3381.
- “A CHRISTMAS CAROL”: Bayou Playhouse, Lockport. Jugglers and clowns sought by director Perry Martin for commedia dell’arte production of the classic Dickensian tale. Rehearsals will be primarily in New Orleans. (504) 236-1796. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “PRIDE AND PREJUDICE”: 7 p.m., Sunday and Monday, Slidell Little Theatre, 2024 Nellie Drive, Slidell. Jane Austen’s classic novel of life in 19th Century England comes to the stage in this production. The comedy requires 11 female and eight male cast members, plus extras for ballroom scenes. Bring a resume, headshot and prepare a brief monologue, as well as readings with other actors. slidelllittletheatre.org.
- “VAYNA AND SONIA AND MARSHA AND SPIKE”: 11 a.m., Sunday, 30 by Ninety Theatre, 880 Lafayette St., Mandeville. The Tony-winning show about three sisters and a young man, with old wounds opened and more. Six roles (five female, one male) are included. Production in February. Register for auditions. email@example.com.
- “THE WOMEN”: 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 8-9, Multi-Purpose Center for the Arts, Fourth and Huey P. Long Avenues, Gretna. Sandi Roads Productions will stage the classic comedy with roles for 39 women, ages 18 to 80. The show will open Feb. 19. Experienced actors will be paid for major roles. (504) 362-4451.