LAFAYETTE — Police have arrested a Lafayette Consolidated Government employee on allegations of secretly taping and photographing people in a restroom at a government office.
Jeffery Larcade, 38, works as a planner in the planning and zoning department. He was booked Friday with video voyeurism and jailed in lieu of $10,000 bond. It couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney.
Police received a complaint from another government employee Friday about a recording device in a men’s restroom. The worker found the miniature device taped to a urinal, removed it and informed police after looking at images on the camera’s memory card, according to an affidavit for an arrest warrant.
Police spokesman Paul Mouton said police don’t know how many victims there were and the case remains under investigation.
Dee Stanley, LCG’s chief administrative officer, said he was notified of the arrest Friday and put Larcade on paid administrative leave, pending a Monday hearing.
“We have spoken to potential victims, that would be fellow employees, and that is all I am at liberty to discuss at this time,” Stanley said.
Eleanor Bouy, director of the planning and zoning department, said all of her department’s 49 employees work in the building where the camera was found.
“It’s a criminal matter being handled by the police department,” Bouy said.
‘Bentley Bandit’ apprehended
By The Associated Press
SULPHUR — Authorities say a fugitive dubbed the “Bentley Bandit” because of accusations he stole luxury cars is being held without bond in a southwest Louisiana jail after wrecking a 2007 Bentley reported stolen from a Florida dealership.
When investigators tracked him down about six hours after the wreck, Justin William Durbin, 22, of Altus, Okla., “simply put his hands in the air and said, ‘It’s me’,” Deputy U.S. Marshal Corey Britt of the Fugitive Task Force said in a news release Friday.
The license plate on the wrecked luxury car read “Call 911.”
The car was stolen in Naples, Fla., and the plate had been stolen separately, authorities said. Britt said Durbin was wanted in at least seven states. Those didn’t include Illinois or Missouri, where authorities say he stole the two cars.
Florida authorities had told Louisiana State Police late Wednesday that Durbin and the most recently stolen Bentley were in Lafayette, where a warrant for his arrest had been sworn out last year, Britt said.
They found the car and chased it, but it got away. On Thursday, state troopers and U.S. marshals tracked the car to a Lake Charles parking lot and chased it to nearby Sulphur, where it crashed, Britt said in a news release Friday.
Helicopters from several agencies and bloodhounds from a nearby state prison helped track Durbin, who was caught about 9:45 p.m.
Durbin was booked with traffic violations, aggravated flight, possession of stolen things and possession of a stolen license plate, and held without bond as a fugitive.
Britt said he’s wanted in other states on charges including probation violation, grand theft auto, larceny, burglary and fraud. Those jurisdictions include Baton Rouge; Mount Pleasant, S.C.; Prince Georges County, Md.; Virginia Beach, Va.; Escambia County, Fla.; Hamilton County, Ind.; and Pima County, Ariz.
“His ruse is he drives in with a very nice looking car and will come in, test-drive a similar or ever-more expensive vehicle and say that he wants to have his father take a look,” Naperville Police Sgt. Gregg Bell said.
Bell said Durbin drove a 2003 Mercedes SL 500 into a Naperville dealership and drove off in a 2003 Mercedes SL 55 AMG — and left that car in suburban St. Louis, Mo., where he took off in a Mercedes SUV later found in a Naples, Fla., parking garage.
Girl still missing after boat crash
By The Associated Press
ST. BERNARD — Authorities searched for a second day Sunday for an 11-year-old girl who was thrown from a boat following a collision with another boat in southeastern Louisiana.
The accident happened about 5:30 p.m. Saturday in Shell Beach Bayou in St. Bernard Parish.
The Coast Guard said she was not wearing a life jacket. Sheriff’s deputies and state wildlife agents are also looking for the girl, whose name has not been made public.
St. Bernard Parish Chief Deputy Sheriff Jimmy Pohlmann said two fishing vessels collided nearly head-on in the Shell Beach Canal, near Lake Borgne. One boat that was carrying four young girls ran aground.
Pohlmann said all of the girls were ejected from the boat into water about 15 feet deep. A third boat rescued three of the girls, and crews were looking for the other. The operator of the boat wasn’t thrown from the boat, but he was hospitalized in serious condition.
The boat operator is believed to be related to the girls, said Pohlmann. Two men in the other boat were not injured, authorities said.
Weather conditions are not believed to have been a factor and the cause of the crash is under investigation, Pohlmann said.
State wildlife agents and a Coast Guard boat and helicopter also were searching.
Monroe developing market along river
MONROE — The city of Monroe is hoping a new development along the banks of the Ouachita River will bring thousands of visitors to the downtown area.
The proposed RiverMarket will feature kiosks on the river walk near the parish courthouse. The French-type market is expected to house vendors who can rent space and sell goods such as vegetables and arts and crafts.
The price tag is $1 million, including $490,000 in capital outlay funds. The city has agreed to match $350,000 and the Monroe-West Monroe Convention and Visitors Bureau added about $132,000.
Plans call for the RiverMarket to be completed in 2012.
More than 100 vendors are expected to sell goods each Saturday June through September. The project will be outfitted with gazebos and arched entrance ways and officials plan on using the nearby amphitheater to bring in musical acts to perform while the RiverMarket is open.
Myra Gatling-Akers, downtown economic development director and special events manager, said city officials are wrapping up paperwork needed to advertise for bids.
“Now that all of the cooperative endeavor agreements are completed, the engineering firm is working to finalize the paperwork over the next few weeks,” Gatling-Akers said. “Once that is done, we will be able to put the project out for bids.”
The Monroe Renaissance Organization, a local fundraising group, gave an additional $19,500 to go toward building permanent restroom facilities, a requirement that had to be met before the project could move forward.
Plans call for the RiverMarket to be completed in 2012. More than 100 vendors are expected to sell goods each Saturday June through September. The project will be outfitted with gazebos and arched entrance ways and officials plan on using the nearby amphitheater to bring in musical acts to perform while the RiverMarket is open.