A Baton Rouge man once accused in a murder case in which a man was beaten and burned to death was sentenced to 20 years in prison Friday in an unrelated shooting in 2009, District Attorney Hillar Moore III said.

State District Judge Trudy White sentenced 25-year-old Denako “Mutt’’ Duheart to 20 years in prison without a chance for probation or parole, Moore said.

White found Duheart guilty in 2010 at the conclusion of a two-day bench trial in the shooting injury of Julius Carter.

Moore said Friday that Duheart got a “fair trial, a fair judge and fair sentence.”

“We are satisfied with what happened,” Moore said.

Duheart’s attorneys argued a motion Friday for a new trial but White denied the motion, Moore said.

Duheart’s attorney, Shannon Battiste, did not return two phone calls to his office Friday for comment.

Last year, Moore commended Carter, 33, and his cousin, Tarsheetka Thompson-Shavers, for testifying.

“I’m impressed that the witnesses withstood the pressure that they had to endure,’’ Moore said last year. “Hopefully, this is the beginning of a new day.’’

Duheart was convicted of shooting Carter in the 2100 block of Chippewa Street near Interstate 110.

Less than two weeks after Duheart’s arrest in the shooting, his mother, Dangelique Duheart Russ, was arrested on a public bribery count.

Russ is accused of offering Carter $1,000 if he would not press charges against her son.

Russ pleaded guilty in May to the bribery charge. She is slated to be sentenced on the public bribery charge Sept. 8 by state District Judge Tony Marabella. She faces up to five years in prison.

Denako Duheart, his 21-year-old brother, Dearius, and Andrea Williams, were once accused in the Oct. 31, 2007, beating and burning death of 39-year-old Jason Fourmy.

The Duheart brothers and Williams initially were charged with first-degree murder in Fourmy’s death, but the charges were reduced to attempted second-degree murder in 2008 after two witnesses were shot to death in late 2007.

The charges were reduced further to second-degree battery in mid-2009. Two weeks later, a third witness was fatally shot.

Finally, the battery charges against the men were dropped in September 2009.

No arrests have been made in the killings of the witnesses.

Fourmy’s remains were found in a wooded area in the 1400 block of Gayosa Street. An autopsy showed he was alive when taken to the woods and set on fire.

Fourmy’s mother, Trudy Fourmy, said she was in court Friday morning to watch the Denako Duheart sentencing.

“I’m glad and happy with the outcome. Twenty years is a whole lot better than nothing,” Fourmy said Friday afternoon.

Trudy Fourmy said she is happy Duheart “won’t be out on the streets for a long time.”

“I guess I can never get true closure,” Fourmy said.

Dearius Duheart has been in East Baton Rouge Parish Prison since October 2008 on various drug charges.