One of four apartments in a duplex at 12239 LaMargie Ave. was heavily damaged by a fire shortly before 9 p.m. Tuesday and another sustained smoke and water damage, according to the Baton Rouge Fire Department.

Firefighters in seven units arrived to find fire coming from the front of the apartment and were able to contain the fire to just one unit, Fire Department spokesman Mark Miles said in a news release.

The renter told firefighters he was cooking and left the kitchen to take a shower and when he returned that’s when he smelled smoke. EMS treated him for smoke inhalation, he refused to be transported, Miles said.

Total damage to the duplex and contents is estimated at $150,000.