OPENING THIS WEEK
- “BY ANY SCENES NECESSARY”: 7:30 p.m., also Wednesday, July 27; Lupin Theater, Tulane University, 6823 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans. New Orleans Shakespeare Festival and NOLA Project partner for two one-night events of theater/improv. “Macbeth” is June 21, “Hamlet “ is July 27. $15. neworleansshakespeare.org.
“DEBAUCHERY”: 7:30 P.M., THEATRE AT ST. CLAUDE, 2240 ST. CLAUDE AVE., NEW ORLEANS. NEW ORLEANS LIVE, ONGOING SOAP OPERA ABOUT A FAMILY AND THEIR HILARIOUS HAPPENINGS. (504) 638-6326. SOUTHERNREP.ORG.
- “AN EVENING WITH BIANCA DEL RIO”: Opening 8 p.m. Friday, The Joy Theater, 1200 Canal St., New Orleans. New Orleans native and winner of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” headlines a show featuring other “Race” alums Mrs. Kasha Daivs, Darienne Lake, MILK The Queen, plus Aggy Dune, Chris Harder and Cherry Brown. $45, $76.50 seats, meet and greet. (504) 528-9569. thejoytheater.com.
- “JOSEPH AND THE AMAZING TECHNICOLOR DREAMCOAT”: Opening 8 p.m. Thursday, also Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Dixon Hall, Tulane University, 6823 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans. Summer Lyric opens season with Andrew Lloyd-Webber’s classic story of the Biblical trials and triumphs of Joseph. $26 and up. (504) 865-5269. summerlyric.tulane.edu.
- ONE NIGHT STAND: Opening 8 p.m. Friday, Studio A, Steak Knife, 888 Harrison Ave., New Orleans. Phil deGruy and Chris Champagne perform a standup routine. $15. (504) 330-9117.
- “SHREK JR. THE MUSICAL”: Opening 7:30 p.m. Thursday through Sunday, 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Rivertown Theatres for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. Based on the DreamWorks animated film, the ogre and company turn fairy tales on their heads in this show. $15. (504) 461-9475. RivertownTheaters.com.
- “SNOW WHITE”: Opening 10 a.m. and 11:30 a.m. Monday, June 20, through Friday, June 24; 11 a.m. and 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday June 25-26; Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. The Patchwork Players bring to life the story and invite six kids to take the roles of Dopey’s companions. $8.50. (504) 461-9475. RivertownTheaters.com.
“TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA”: OPENING 7:30 P.M. SATURDAY, RUNNING 7:30 P.M. THURSDAYS THROUGH SATURDAYS, 1:30 P.M. SUNDAYS, THROUGH JULY 2, LUPIN THEATER, TULANE UNIVERSITY, 6823 ST. CHARLES AVE., NEW ORLEANS. SHAKESPEARE FESTIVAL AT TULANE PRESENTS THE BARD’S ROMANTIC COMEDY ABOUT LOVE, FRIENDSHIP AND A DOG. $20 AND UP. NEWORLEANSSHAKESPEARE.ORG.
- “COLOSSAL”: 8 p.m. Thursday to Saturday, 3 p.m. Sunday; Robert E. Nims Theatre, University of New Orleans, 2000 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans. Southern Rep presents a new work by Andrew Hinderaker about a collegiate athlete’s injury and how his life is changed. $25 and up. (504) 523-9857. southernrep.com.
- “THE DIVINE SISTER”: 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through June 25; Cutting Edge Theater, 767 Robert Blvd., Slidell. A comic homage to nearly every film involving nuns, “The Divine Sister” looks at the trials and tribulations of Mother Superior as she deals with fundraising for a new school and her flock of nuns. (985) 649-3727. cuttingedgetheater.com.
- “HEATHERS THE MUSICAL”: 7:30 p.m. Thursday to Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday; Freda Lupin Memorial Hall, NOCCA, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. Based on one of the 1980s top teen dark comedies, the show looks at the perils and punishment of high school cliques. Presented by the NOCCA Stage Company. $27. nocca.com.
“NOTHING VENTURED”: 7 P.M. THURSDAY AND FRIDAY, UNO PERFORMING ARTS BUILDING, 2000 LAKESHORE DRIVE, NEW ORLEANS. A COLLABORATIVE PLAY BY THE SOUTHERN REP 6X6 PLAYWRIGHTS ON THE THEME “NOTHING VENTURED.” $13.50. SOUTHERNREP.COM.
“SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM”: 8 P.M. FRIDAYS AND SATURDAYS, 2:30 P.M. SUNDAYS THROUGH JUNE 26; 30 BY NINETY THEATRE, 880 LAFAYETTE ST., MANDEVILLE. WITH LIVE MUSIC AND EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW FOOTAGE, THE SHOW LOOKS AT THE CAREER OF THE LEGENDARY SONGWRITER IN HIS OWN WORDS. $15 AND UP. (844) 843-3090 TOLL FREE. 30BYNINETY.COM.
- “WICKED”: Through June 19; Saenger Theater, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. The other side of the story of the Wicked Witch of the West and Glenda. $62 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “THE KILLING OF A LESBIAN BOOKIE”: Opening June 23 through July 3, The Theatre at St. Claude, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Written and directed by Jim Fitzmorris, the show is a throwback to the classic crime films of the 1970s, featuring Justin Welborn, Bunny Love and Kimberly Kaye. $40 opening night, $25. (504) 638-6326. thetheatreatstclaude.com.
“OLD SCHOOL — AN EVENING OF CLASSICS FROM BROADWAY AND THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK”: OPENING 8 P.M. JUNE 24, LITTLE GEM SALOON, 445 S. RAMPART ST., NEW ORLEANS. BROADWAY VETERANS LESLIE CASTAY AND JUSTIN LEE MILLER PERFORM CABARET SHOW WITH JESSE REEKS AT THE PIANO. (504) 267-4863. LITTLEGEMSALOON.COM
- “RUMPLESTILTSKIN”: Opening July 5-10, Rivertown Theatres for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. The Patchwork Players bring to life the story of the Brothers Grimm imp who keeps his name secret until the queen discovers it. $8.50. (504) 461-9475. RivertownTheaters.com.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, NOLA Comedy Theater, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
COMEDY SPORTZ: 8 P.M. SATURDAYS, NOLA COMEDY THEATER, 5039 FRERET ST., NEW ORLEANS. ALL-AGES IMPROV COMEDY SHOW. $10 ADVANCE, $13 DOOR. (504) 231-7011. COMEDYSPORTZNEWORLEANS.COM.
GG’S 504 COMEDY TOUR STANDUP COMEDY SHOWCASE: 8 P.M. SATURDAY, JUNE 15, CASTLE THEATRE, 501 WILLIAMS BLVD., KENNER. COMEDIAN GINA GOMEZ HOSTS SHOW INCLUDING AMANDA G., LINDA WRITE AND MIKE STRECKER. $10. (504) 287-4707. CASTLE501.COM.
NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 P.M. TO 8:30 P.M., WEDNESDAYS, NEUTRAL GROUND COFFEE HOUSE, 5110 DANNEEL ST., NEW ORLEANS. (504) 891-3381.
- NOLA COMEDY HOUR OPEN MIC: 8 p.m., Hi Ho Lounge, 2239 St. Claude Ave. (504) 945-4446.
- OPEN MIC NIGHT: 5 p.m., St. Rose Community Center, 608 Mockingbird Lane, St. Rose. Poetry and karaoke night. (504) 305-5138. stcharlesgov.net.
SOUTHLAND COMEDY SHOWCASE: 7:30 P.M. FRIDAY, LA NUIT COMEDY THEATER, 5039 FRERET ST., NEW ORLEANS. RICHARD DUBUS HOSTS THREE STAND-UPS. (504) 231-7011.
- THINK YOU’RE FUNNY?: 9 p.m., Carrollton Station Bar and Music Club, 8140 Willow St., New Orleans. Sign up at 8 p.m. (504) 865-9190.
- “SHRECK, THE MUSICAL”: 6 p.m. Sunday, July 10, Slidell High School, 1 Tiger Drive, Slidell. Slidell Little Theater will hold open auditions for all roles in the Broadway hit based on the Dreamworks animated feature. Prepare 16 bars of an upbeat number and bring music. A capella is not acceptable. Résumés are encouraged. All participants will be cast. sText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorSwatch/NoneStrokeStyle/$ID/SolidText ColorText ColorText ColorText Colorlidelllittletheatre.org/lets-make-a-monster/