A gas leak Tuesday afternoon at Oak Grove Primary School in Prairieville led to the school being placed on lockdown only minutes before students were to be let out of school for the holiday vacation.

The children had to shelter in place for about an hour after construction workers digging near a temporary building in the back of the school struck the gas line, causing a rupture, said Jackie Tisdell, an Ascension Parish school district spokeswoman.

The incident happened just moments before 1:30 p.m., which is when students were to be let out for the holidays.

Parents who were beginning to arrive to pick up their children had to be diverted, she said.

“I wasn’t there, but I imagine there were a lot of frustrated people,” she said.

Workers repaired the line, and the shelter in place was lifted at about 2:30 p.m.

Students who normally ride the bus were being sent home on their normal routes, Tisdell said. Parents, who pick up their children in the back of the school, were being diverted to the front of the school while emergency responders monitor the repaired gas line behind the main school building, Tisdell said.

No one was injured during in the incident.