QUESTION: Regarding Airline Highway, why are U-turns (turnarounds) used, and J-turns installed directing flow that is contrary to the proper flow of traffic? This places the two vehicles in a position such that neither can see oncoming traffic. Also some motorists seem to think it is OK to stack vehicles in these turnarounds going in the same direction. This creates another unsafe condition. Is there a law against stacking?

ANSWER: Anastasia Semien, a state Department of Transportation and Development spokeswoman, tells us: “U-turns and J-turns are designed to allow drivers to change direction or to cross over a divided roadway. Drivers utilizing a U-turn or J-turn should stop and be aware of oncoming traffic before proceeding in their maneuver.

“DOTD is designing J-turns and U-turns to prevent cars from stacking in the median and blocking other cars’ ability to see oncoming vehicles.

“Also, although there is no law that prohibits vehicles stacking in the median, DOTD warns against it as it often poses unsafe driving conditions.”

Many happy (tax) returns

QUESTION: Did you know the state can charge you taxes for a year you didn’t live or work in the state?

They estimate taxes due based in your federal return and tell you that you have to pay or else — even though you moved into Louisiana in January of the following year.

ANSWER: Kizzy A. Payton, press secretary for the Louisiana Department of Revenue, tells us the IRS each year sends data to LDR indicating which taxpayers used a Louisiana address when they filed their federal return.

“If a taxpayer files their federal return using a Louisiana address and they do not file a state return, the department then issues a federal-state match questionnaire to determine if the taxpayer should have filed a Louisiana state tax return,” Payton says.

“If the taxpayer does not respond to the questionnaire, LDR then estimates their state taxes owed based upon the information provided on their federal return. They can still clear the bill by providing the department with documentation which clearly shows they were not a resident of Louisiana and did not earn any income in the state during the tax period in question.

“If the taxpayer provides proof that they are not a resident of Louisiana, the department will reverse the estimate and send a liability cancellation letter to the taxpayer.”

Got questions?

Send them to Ask The Advocate, 7290 Bluebonnet Blvd., Baton Rouge, LA 70810; or fax to Ask The Advocate, (225) 388-0371; or email