OPENING THIS WEEK
- “THE DIVINE SISTER”: Opening 8 p.m. Friday, running 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays through June 25; Cutting Edge Theater, 767 Robert Blvd., Slidell. A comic homage to nearly every film involving nuns, “The Divine Sister” looks at the trials and tribulations of Mother Superior as she deals with fundraising for a new school and her flock of nuns. (985) 649-3727. cuttingedgetheater.com.
- FASTER THAN A SPEEDING BULLET FESTIVAL: Opening 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, The Theatre at St. Claude, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Sixty 1-minute plays featuring more than 30 writers, 20 actors, 15 directors in two nights. Audience selects favorites, plus a costume contest. $12 advance, $15 door. (504) 638-6326. thetheatreatstclaude.com.
- “HEATHERS THE MUSICAL”: Opening 7:30 p.m. Thursday, running 7:30 p.m. Thursdays to Saturdays, 2 p.m. Sundays through June 19; Freda Lupin Memorial Hall, NOCCA, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. Based on one of the 1980s top teen dark comedies, the show looks at the perils and punishment of high school cliques. Presented by the NOCCA Stage Company. $27. nocca.com.
- MARIGNY OPERA HOUSE NEW DANCE FESTIVAL: Opening 8 p.m. Friday to Sunday; Marigny Opera House, 725 St. Ferdinand St., New Orleans. Citywide festival includes newly-commissioned works by Will Byram, Angelle Hebert and Shannon Stewart, and Martiza Mercado-Narcisse, with accompaniment by the Polymnia Quartet, Samuel Barber’s “String Quartet in B Minor” and sonatas for cello by George Crumb and Gyorgy Ligeti. $20 adults, $10 students and seniors. (504) 948-9998. marignyoperahouse.org.
- “SONDHEIM ON SONDHEIM”: Opening 8 p.m. Saturday, running 8 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 2:30 p.m. Sundays through June 26; 30 by Ninety Theatre, 880 Lafayette St., Mandeville. With live music and exclusive interview footage, the show looks at the career of the legendary songwriter in his own words. $15 and up. (844) 843-3090 toll free. 30byninety.com.
- “YAT’S ENTERTAINMENT”: Opening 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday; Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. Celebrating all things “Yat,” this music and comedy cabaret stars Ricky Graham and Sean Patterson, with special guest and Yat authority Becky Allen. Musical accompaniment by Jefferson Turner. $26. (504) 461-9475 or 468-7221. rivertowntheaters.com.
- “COLOSSAL”: 8 p.m. Thursdays to Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays through June 19; Robert E. Nims Theatre, University of New Orleans, 2000 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans. Southern Rep presents a new work by Andrew Hinderaker about a collegiate athlete’s injury and how his life is changed. $25 and up. (504) 523-9857. southernrep.com.
- “WICKED”: Various times to June 19; Saenger Theater, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. The other side of the story of the Wicked Witch of the West and Glenda, the “good” witch, this Broadway smash brings stellar sets, imaginative costumes and a totally different perspective on “The Wizard of Oz” story. $62 and up. Day-of limited number of orchestra seats offered in lottery 2½ hours prior to each show for $25; must be present, limit two per person. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “AN EVENING WITH BIANCA DEL RIO”: Opening 8 p.m. June 17, The Joy Theater, 1200 Canal St., New Orleans. New Orleans native and winner of “RuPaul’s Drag Race” headlines a show featuring other “Race” alums Mrs. Kasha Daivs, Darienne Lake, MILK The Queen, plus Aggy Dune, Chris Harder and Cherry Brown. $45 SRO, $76.50 seats, meet and greet. (504) 528-9569. thejoytheater.com.
- “OLD SCHOOL — AN EVENING OF CLASSICS FROM BROADWAY AND THE GREAT AMERICAN SONGBOOK”: Opening 8 p.m. June 24, Little Gem Saloon, 445 S. Rampart St., New Orleans. Broadway veterans Leslie Castay and Justin Lee Miller perform cabaret show with Jesse Reeks at the piano. (504) 267-4863. littlegemsaloon.com
- “ONE NIGHT STAND”: Opening 8 p.m. June 17, Studio A, Steak Knife, 888 Harrison Ave., New Orleans. Phil deGruy and Chris Champagne perform a standup routine. $15. (504) 330-9117.
- “RUMPLESTILTSKIN”: Opening July 5-10, Rivertown Theatres for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. The Patchwork Players bring to life the story of the Brothers Grimm imp who keeps his name secret until the queen discovers it. $8.50. (504) 461-9475. RivertownTheaters.com.
- “SHREK JR. THE MUSICAL”: Opening June 16-19, Rivertown Theatres for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. Based on the DreamWorks animated film, the ogre and company turn fairy tales on their heads in this show. $15. (504) 461-9475. RivertownTheaters.com.
- “SNOW WHITE”: Opening June 20-26, Rivertown Theatres for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. The Patchwork Players bring to life the story and invite six kids to take the roles of Dopey’s companions. $8.50. (504) 461-9475. RivertownTheaters.com.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, NOLA Comedy Theater, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
- COMEDY SPORTZ: 8 p.m. Saturdays, NOLA Comedy Theater, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. All-ages improv comedy show. $10 advance, $13 door. (504) 231-7011. comedysportzneworleans.com.
- NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Neutral Ground Coffee House, 5110 Danneel St., New Orleans. (504) 891-3381.
- NOLA COMEDY HOUR OPEN MIC: 8 p.m., Hi Ho Lounge, 2239 St. Claude Ave. (504) 945-4446.
- OPEN MIC NIGHT: 5 p.m., St. Rose Community Center, 608 Mockingbird Lane, St. Rose. Poetry and karaoke night. (504) 305-5138. stcharlesgov.net.
- SOUTHLAND COMEDY SHOWCASE: 7:30 p.m. Friday, La Nuit Comedy Theater, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Richard Dubus hosts three stand-ups. (504) 231-7011.
- THINK YOU’RE FUNNY?: 9 p.m., Carrollton Station Bar and Music Club, 8140 Willow St., New Orleans. Sign up at 8 p.m. (504) 865-9190.
- PERSIANA LATINA — LATIN TALENT SEARCH: 3 p.m. Saturday, June 11, New Orleans Art Center, 3330 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. For ages 7-30, for music, acting, modeling and art. (707) 779-9317.
- “WEST SIDE STORY,” “FUNNY GIRL” AND “TARZAN THE MUSICAL”: Jefferson Performing Arts Society holds adult auditions by appointment only for its season of musicals. Dance auditions will be held 6:30 p.m. Friday for women, 8 p.m. for men. Vocal auditions will be held 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturday; 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. Sunday. Callbacks 4 p.m. Sunday. Child auditions will be announced later. Dancers should arrive early and be properly attired. Vocalists should prepare music from their interested show, with four copies of sheet music. All roles are open and compensated. JPAS Conservatory Space, 5005 Bloomfield St., Jefferson. jpas.org/auditions39.