Editor’s note: Today’s column is all about road striping, a topic we’ve previously touched on.

QUESTION: In an Oct. 26 Ask The Advocate on road striping, Ingolf Partenheimer, chief traffic engineer for the city-parish, said “striping is done based on the availability of funding.” Striping is a fundamental safety issue and, as such, should be a top priority. Waiting until funding is available or someone complains about a particular street before fixing the problem is a tremendous liability. Why does the DPW expose the citizens of East Baton Rouge to safety hazards and potential liability rather than maintaining the road striping in a safe condition?

ANSWER: We went back to Partenheimer, who says: “Based on what I am reading as a comment perhaps I wasn’t clear on the processing for striping of streets, so here is a more in-depth explanation:

“There are two striping methods. The first is using thermoplastic, which is plastic melted into the roadway surface. It lasts about seven years and is installed via a striping contractor. The second is water-based paint. It lasts 1-2 years depending on the number of vehicles driving over it. This is installed via city-parish crews and is done to stripe roads in need of striping prior to the seven years or if the funding is inadequate to stripe all of the roads which are required on that seven-year cycle.

“If the bid prices for the thermoplastic installation increase, then fewer roads are striped in thermoplastic and more in paint. Public safety is our chief concern and striping plays a major part.”

QUESTION: In the midst of road construction on Jones Creek Road from Coursey Boulevard to Tiger Bend Road, the road striping at the intersection of Coursey and Jones Creek — a heavy traffic area — has faded and needs to be striped. What can be done to stripe in paint as an interim measure?

ANSWER: After we asked about this, Partenheimer said he would “ask one of our traffic engineers to look into this and see what can be done in the meantime.” It was restriped on Dec. 11.

Talk to us

Send your questions to Ask The Advocate, 10705 Rieger Road, Baton Rouge, LA 70810; or fax to Ask The Advocate, (225) 388-0371; or email asktheadvocate@theadvocate.com.