A Baton Rouge man’s recent manslaughter conviction, combined with his criminal past, has landed him in prison for 65 years.
State District Judge Richard Anderson imposed the sentence on Dwain Williams, 40, late last week, at the request of the District Attorney’s Office, after finding Williams to be a third-felony offender.
Prosecutor Tracey Barbera argued Williams’ May 19 manslaughter conviction, coupled with convictions for felony theft in 1993 and possession with intent to distribute cocaine in 1994, made him a habitual offender for sentencing purposes.
Williams faced up to 40 years in prison for manslaughter, but his status as a third-felony offender allowed Anderson to enhance the sentence and impose the 65-year term.
“Hopefully the court’s loud and clear message — that those convicted of violent repeat offenses will be dealt with harshly — will be heard and passed on to all others who contemplate similar criminal behavior,’’ District Attorney Hillar Moore III said Tuesday.
“The goal is to stop these types of crimes before they occur to prevent others from becoming victims,’’ he added.
Anderson ordered Williams’ time to be served at hard labor without benefit of probation, parole or suspension of sentence.
Williams, charged with second-degree murder in the 2009 drug-related stabbing death of Jonathan Milliken, 36, was found guilty of manslaughter by a 10-2 vote.
Second-degree murder carries an automatic sentence of life in prison.
Williams was accused of fatally stabbing Milliken in the chest, back and leg on April 29, 2009, in a vacant lot on Tanner Street.
Police have said the stabbing occurred during an argument between the men about drugs.