Debris removal crews will start making a final pass through East Baton Rouge Parish to collect any remaining debris from August's flood beginning on Monday, Mayor-President Sharon Weston Broome's office announced Friday.
All debris removal operations in eligible areas served by the city parish must cease by Aug. 13 in order to qualify for federal cost-share reimbursements, Broome's office said in a news release.
The release said the actions are in alignment with a six-month extension for eligible flood debris removal that Broome secured earlier this year in collaboration with the Governor’s Office of Homeland Security and Emergency Preparedness.
In addition to the areas city-parish debris removal crews have serviced since the aftermath of the August 2016 flooding — which includes areas inside the city limits and unincorporated areas of East Baton Rouge Parish — the final pass will include the removal of eligible flood debris at residential addresses along state highways, the release states.
Broome announced in April the expansion of the city-parish’s debris removal program to include all residences along state highways in East Baton Rouge Parish, recognizing that many residents living along state highways were still in need of debris removal support following last year’s devastating flooding event.
Flood debris that's been festering along state highways since historic levels of water in Au…
City-parish officials are urging all residents still in need of debris removal to move these materials curbside as soon as possible. Residents can also continue to request debris removal by contacting the Department of Environmental Services at 225-389-4865. Eligible items include anything in the home that was damaged as a result of the August 2016 flood such as furniture, flooring, insulation and sheetrock.
Construction and reconstruction waste materials are ineligible for FEMA reimbursement under FEMA's policies and will not be collected by city-parish debris removal crews. The disposal of any such materials is the responsibility of the homeowner and/or contractor.
Homeowners can dispose of these materials by either placing them in their garbage receptacles if they will fit or by transporting the materials to the North Landfill, located at 16001 Samuels Road.
Once debris removal operations conclude, residents will be responsible for the disposal of any remaining flood debris. East Baton Rouge Parish residents can bring their flood debris to the North Landfill and dispose of it at no charge by showing proof of residence such as a driver’s license or utility bill.
Since August 2016, city-parish crews have collected nearly 1.97 million cubic yards of flood debris, representing one of the largest-ever flood debris removal efforts of its kind.
For more information and to track the progress of these debris removal efforts through this final collection pass, go to http://gis.brla.gov/debris.