OPENING THIS WEEK
- “THE AMAZING ACRO-CATS’ ‘MEOWY CATMUS IN MEW ORLEANS’ ”: Opening Friday, 7:30 p.m., through Dec. 20; The Theatre at St. Claude, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. This troupe of former stray felines entertains with a holiday show. A portion of the proceeds are donated to animal welfare. $23 and up. (504) 638-6326. thetheatreatstclaude.com.
- “THE BLUEST EYE”: Opening Friday, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 20; Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre, 616 St. Peter St., New Orleans. Stage adaptation of Toni Morrison’s work about the legacy of racism in a small Ohio town. $35 and up. (504) 522-2081. lepetittheatre.com.
- “A CRESCENT CITY CHRISTMAS”: Opening Friday 7:30 p.m., and Dec. 10-12, Nims Black Box Theatre, New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. Second Star Performance Collective presents a premiere of Ren French’s Christmas Eve tale about a live radio broadcast at an orphanage. Opening night costumes encouraged, plus a raffle for prizes. $20. secondstarperformancecollective.com.
- “FANCY NANCY’S SPLENDIFEROUS CHRISTMAS”: Opening Friday, 7 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 1 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, 11 a.m. Saturdays, through Dec. 13; Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. Based on the popular children’s book, Fancy Nancy is back with a holiday tale, full of music and merriment. Special tea and brunch offerings Saturday and Sunday, separate charge. $16. (504) 461-9475. rivertowntheaters.com.
- “IT’S MERRY CHRISTMAS DAMMIT”: Opening Saturday, 8 p.m. and 11 p.m., The Allways Lounge, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Mink Stole, Harry Mayronne and Doctor Sick sing songs and tell tales, joined by Vinsantos. $20. (504) 218-5778. theallwayslounge.net.
- “THE NUTCRACKER” BALLET: Opening Friday and Saturday, 7:30 p.m., Saturday and Sunday, 2 p.m.; Destrehan High School Auditorium, 1 Wildcat Lane, Destrehan. The River Region Ballet presents the perennial dance favorite for the holiday season, complete with dancing dolls, mice and Clara’s magical gift. $20. (504) 331-0990. rrpa.org/riverregionballet.html.
- “THE NUTCRACKER SUITE”: Opening Sunday, 3 and 6 p.m., Dixon Hall, Tulane University, 6823 St. Charles Ave, New Orleans. New Orleans Ballet Association and New Orleans Recreation Development Commission bring together more than 200 local dancers for a production of the holiday classic of dreams and wonder. $10. (504) 522-0996 x 0. nobadance.com.
- “SISTER ACT”: Opening Friday, 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 2 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 13; Jefferson Performing Arts Center, 6400 Airline Drive, Metairie. The popular movie about a lounge singer and an order of nuns comes to life on stage in this Tony Award-winning musical. $40 and up. (504) 885-2000. jpas.org.
- “6X6 — THE NEW PLAY SLAM”: Opening Wednesday, 7:30 p.m. The Theatre at St. Claude, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Southern Rep presents six 10-minute one-act plays based on a common theme. (504) 522-6545. southernrep.com.
- “THE 3 CHARMERS CHRISTMAS DINNER COMEDY”: Opening Friday, 8 p.m., Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Jodi Borrello, Becky Allen and Allison Hotard get the holidays rolling in Louisiana and Charmer style. $15. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- “CHARLES DICKENS’ A CHRISTMAS CAROL”: Opening Wednesday, through Sunday, Dec. 20; Nims Theatre, University of New Orleans, 2000 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans. John “Spud” McConnell brings Ebenezer Scrooge to life in the classic retelling of this heartwarming tale of redemption and holiday spirit. $15 and up. southernrep.com.
- “NEWSIES”: 7:30 p.m. Thursday and Sunday, 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Saturday and Sunday; Saenger Theatre, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. Tony Award-winning musical about youngsters who hawked papers on the streets of New York until they united to fight for justice. $40 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “THE SNOW QUEEN”: Fridays to Sundays, through Dec. 13; Slidell Little Theatre, 2024 Nellie Drive, Slidell. Stage version of the classic Hans Christian Andersen story of the chilling royal, a frozen prisoner and his friend’s efforts to save him. $25 adults, $15 youth/students. (985) 641-0324. slidelllittletheatre.org.
- “THE VICTORY BELLES PRESENT A SWINGIN’ CHRISTMAS”: Through Dec. 30, various days; 11:45 a.m. seating for buffet, 12:45 p.m. show; Wednesday; BB’s Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. The canteens trio celebrates the holiday music that keep the spirit of the season burning during the war years. $30 and up. (504) 528-1944, ext. 273. nationalww2museum.org.
- “THE WINTER’S TALE”: 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays to Sundays through Dec. 20; New Orleans Museum of Art, 1 Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. The NOLA Project brings one of Shakespeare’s most beautiful and haunting plays to life in the Great Hall of the museum. $30, $20 students/NOMA members/Backstage Pass members. (504) 302-9117. nolaproject.com.
- “CHRISTMAS CONCERTO”: Opening Thursday, Dec. 10-13, 8 p.m.; Marigny Opera House, 725 St. Ferdinand St., New Orleans. Marigny Opera Ballet premieres a holiday celebration in three parts featuring new works by local choreographers. Music will be performed by the New Resonance Chamber Orchestra. $30, $20 students/seniors. (504) 948-9998. marignyoperahouse.org.
- “DEEPLY ROOTED”: Opening Dec. 10-12, 7 p.m., Freda Lupin Memorial Hall, NOCCA, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. NOCCA Dance Department presents a winter dance concert of ballet, modern, tap and jazz. $15. nocca.com.
- “HAPPY END”: Opening Dec. 10, 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays, through Dec. 19; AllWays Lounge, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill’s follow-up to “The Threepenny Opera,” this show is a variation on the classic good and evil battle. $20 and up. (504) 218-5778. theallwayslounge.com.
- “IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE —A LIVE RADIO PLAY”: Opening Dec. 11-12, 18-19, 8 p.m., Dec. 13, 20, 2:30 p.m., 30 x Ninety Theatre, 880 Lafayette St., Mandeville. Adaptation of holiday classic film as a live 1940s-style broadcast. $10 and up. 1 (844) 843-3090.
- “THE NUTCRACKER”: Opening Dec. 18, 7 p.m. and Dec. 19-20, 2 p.m.; Dixon Hall, Tulane University, 6823 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans. Delta Festival Ballet, under the direction of Joseph and Maria Giacobbe, presents the holiday classic, featuring soloist Irina Sapozhnikova and Joseph Phillips and more than 100 local dancers. The Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra accompanies. $28 and up. (504-888-0931. deltafestivalballet.com.
- “THIS CHRISTMAS”: Opening Dec. 11-13, 6:30 p.m.; City Church, 13123 I-10 Service Road, New Orleans. Broadway-style musical and dinner playhouse celebrates the season. $39. (504) 246-5121. citychurchno.com/christmas/.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, La Nuit Comedy Theatre, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
- JO-JO-JO 60 MINUTE STAND UP COMEDY: 8 p.m. Saturday, Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Jodi Borrello takes an hour to put her spin on the holidays. $10 and up. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Neutral Ground Coffee House, 5110 Danneel St., New Orleans. (504) 891-3381.
- THURSDAYJACK: 8 p.m., Thursdays in December, Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Jodi Borrello with the Mike Liuzza Band. $8 and up. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- “A CHRISTMAS CAROL”: Bayou Playhouse, Lockport. Jugglers and clowns sought by director Perry Martin for commedia dell’arte production of the classic Dickensian tale. Rehearsals will be primarily in New Orleans. (504) 236-1796. firstname.lastname@example.org.
- “THE WOMEN”: 7 p.m. Tuesday and Wednesday, Dec. 8-9, Multi-Purpose Center for the Arts, Fourth and Huey P. Long Avenues, Gretna. Sandi Roads Productions will stage the classic comedy with roles for 39 women, ages 18 to 80. The show will open Feb. 19. Experienced actors will be paid for major roles. (504) 362-4451.