A Baton Rouge man with a prior bomb-threat conviction has been accused by a federal grand jury of sending more letters threatening to blow up the federal and state courthouses in the capital city, U.S. Attorney Walt Green said Thursday.

Brian Cavalier, 33, allegedly mailed a letter to U.S. District Court on Nov. 1, 2013, stating that a bomb had been planted in the federal courthouse and was set to detonate within 24 hours, the indictment alleges. Cavalier allegedly sent another letter on Dec. 2, 2013, to the 19th Judicial District Courthouse on North Boulevard, again saying a bomb would soon go off in the state courthouse, according to the indictment.

The grand jury charged Cavalier with two counts of making threats by mail. Cavalier is accused of making the latest bomb threats while in prison on the previous bomb threat conviction.

If convicted of the latest charges, he could face significant prison time, fines, restitution and supervised release following imprisonment, Green said.

“My office takes threats to the safety and security of our community’s judicial and governmental offices very seriously,” Green stressed. “Specific and credible threats not only disrupt the functioning of our government and affect the daily lives of many individuals who live and work in our community, but they also divert law enforcement resources from more critical missions.”

In March 2012, Cavalier pleaded guilty in the 19th JDC to making a bomb threat in 2009 at the downtown state courthouse, which at the time was located inside the City Hall building on St. Louis Street. The letter indicated the author was a member of B.M.F. — the Black Mafia Family.

Cavalier was sentenced to 10 years in prison.