OPENING THIS WEEK
- “DITZYLAND!”: Opening 8 p.m. Thursday, Fridays and Saturdays plus New Year’s Eve, through Jan. 16; Café Istanbul, Healing Arts Center, 2372 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Varla Jean Merman skewers Walt Disney’s most treasured animated features, joining in this adult send-up of fairy tale madness by Sean Patterson, Ricky Graham and Jefferson Turner on piano. $25. ditzyland.eventbrite.com.
- “DUBLIN CAROL”: Opening 7 p.m. Saturday, running Saturdays and Sundays through Jan. 10, 5 p.m. Jan. 3 and 10; Playhouse NOLA, 3214 Burgundy St., New Orleans. Conor McPherson’s deep, delicate story of forgiveness and redemption with Michael Martin, Mason Joiner and Viviane Wolfe. Donations at the door. Reservations firstname.lastname@example.org. (800) 383-4989.
- “A GATSBY AFFAIR — NEW YEAR’S EVE 2015”: Opening 9:30 p.m. Thursday, Mag’s 940, 940 Elysian Fields Ave., New Orleans. A 1920s-inspired celebration with the burlesque talents of Nikki Levaillain, Roux LaLa, Grand Mafun and Persé Fanny, plus The Baroness and Gabriella Maze. Hors d’oeuvres and cocktails are included. Appropriate-themed attire encouraged. $20 and up. eventbrite.com/e/a-gatsby-affair-new-years-eve-2015-tickets-19231452793.
“THE SNOW QUEEN”: 1 P.M., EAST BANK REGIONAL LIBRARY, 4747 W. NAPOLEON AVE., METAIRIE. JEFFERSON BALLET THEATRE PRESENTS THEIR PRODUCTION OF THIS CLASSIC FROSTY STORY, WITH A QUESTION-AND-ANSWER SESSION TO FOLLOW. (504) 889-8143. JEFFERSON.LIB.LA.US.
- “BEAUTY AND THE BEAST”: 7:30 p.m. through Sunday, at various times, including New Year’s Eve and Day; Saenger Theatre, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. The Disney classic comes to life in a dazzling show about the bookish Belle and the prince changed into a beast by an enchantress. $50 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “... AND THE BALL AND ALL”: Opening 8 p.m. Jan. 7 and 8, 2 p.m. Jan. 10, 6 p.m. Jan. 6; Rivertown Theatre for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. The Krewe of Terpsichore is at it again. Ricky Graham’s hilarious send-up of Carnival, Y’ats and the general fun and flavor of Mardi Gras in New Orleans will be live at the theater, featuring the talents of Becky Allen, Rebecca Taliancich, Mandy Zirkenbach, Gogo Borgerding and Amanda Hebert. $26. (504) 461-9475. rivertowntheatres.com.
- BRIAN REGAN: Opening 7 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 10, Mahalia Jackson Theater for the Performing Arts, 1419 Basin St., New Orleans. Brian Regan has distinguished himself as one of the premier comedians in the country. The perfect balance of sophisticated writing and physicality, Brian fills theaters nationwide with fervent fans that span generations. $39.50 and up. (504) 287-0350. mahaliajacksontheater.com.
- “SWEET CHARITY”: Opening 8 p.m. Jan. 15, Thursdays to Saturdays; 2 p.m. Sundays, through Jan. 31; Rivertown Theatres for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. One of the perennial hits of Broadway, this Tony Award-winning musical tells of the ups and downs of the life of Charity Hope Valentine as she looks for love. “Big Spender,” “If they Could See Me Now” and “Rhythm of Life” are some of the mainstays of the American musical theater. $40; $38 seniors, $36 students/military. (504) 461-9475. rivertowntheatres.com.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, La Nuit Comedy Theatre, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
COMEDYSPORTZ: 8 P.M. SATURDAYS, LA NUIT COMEDY THEATER, 5039 FRERET ST., NEW ORLEANS. ALL-AGES IMPROV COMEDY SHOW.$10 ADVANCE, $13 DOOR. (504) 231-7011. COMEDYSPORTZNEWORLEANS.COM.
NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 P.M. TO 8:30 P.M., WEDNESDAYS, NEUTRAL GROUND COFFEE HOUSE, 5110 DANNEEL ST., NEW ORLEANS. (504) 891-3381.
- NEW YEAR’S EVE BASH: 9 p.m., Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Music, food and comedy with Becky Allen, Jim Walpole and Jodi Borrello. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- THINK YOU’RE FUNNY?: 9 p.m., Carrollton Station Bar and Music Club, 8140 Willow St., New Orleans. Signup at 8 p.m. (504) 865-9190.
- THURSDAYJACK: 8 p.m., Thursdays in December, Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Jodi Borrello with the Mike Liuzza Band. $8 and up. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- “AND THEN THERE WERE NONE”: 7 p.m., Jan. 4 and Jan. 6, Playmakers Inc., 19106 Playmakers Road, Covington. Classic Agatha Christie saga of singular eliminations of guests in a secluded home. Cast includes men and women. (985) 893-1671. playmakersinc.com.
- “RAGTIME”: 5 p.m. callbacks Jan. 2; Marigny Opera House, 725 St. Ferdinand St., New Orleans. Cripple Creek Players will produce the Tony-winning musical based on E.L. Doctorow’s novel. Director Emilie Whelan seeks 12 actors of diverse age, ethnicity, orientation and identity. Prepare one a capella piece, with sides and additional singing provided at audition. For times, email email@example.com or visit facebook.com/CrippleCreekTheatreCompany.