A 25-year-old Baton Rouge man accused in May of fatally shooting the woman with whom he had an on-and-off relationship and taking her 2-year-old daughter was indicted Wednesday on murder, kidnapping and drug charges.

An East Baton Rouge Parish grand jury indictment alleges that Curtis King killed Taylor Latham, 24, on either May 1 or May 2, and kidnapped A’Kyleana Latham. The indictment refers to the child only by her initials.

Taylor Latham was found shot to death May 4 inside a Ford Mustang near her Louisiana Avenue home.

Two days earlier, according to a police report, King took A’Kyleana “from her mother,” at that home, and “at the time of Taylor Latham’s murder.”

Fred Kroenke, a local public defender who will be representing King, said Wednesday that King maintains his innocence.

In addition to the murder and kidnapping charges, the grand jury charged King with possession with intent to distribute the drug Cathinone.

King’s indictment came two months after the East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney’s Office decided not to prosecute his former live-in girlfriend, Daaria Thomas, on kidnapping and murder charges.

Thomas, who was locked up for two months after her May 7 arrest, dropped the child off May 5 at The Women’s Help Center on Scenic Highway. Thomas and King allegedly had taken the girl to King’s apartment on South Harrell’s Ferry Road and kept her for three days.

Thomas’ attorney, Jim Williams, has said she is cooperating with police and prosecutors.

Homicide detectives learned during their probe into the killing that Latham had recently been involved with a black male known only as “King,” a police report states. A witness identified that man as Curtis King, the report says.

A police spokesman has said King and Latham were involved in an on-and-off relationship after Latham moved from Texas to Baton Rouge with her daughter.

King was out on bail at the time of Latham’s slaying after being charged in March 2014 with second-degree cruelty to a juvenile following the October 2013 death of his 6-month-old son, Aiden King.

King, who also is charged with possession with intent to distribute marijuana in that case, is scheduled to stand trial Nov. 2 on the cruelty and drug charges.

The Coroner’s Office concluded Aiden King’s primary cause of death was an inability to breathe in an oversized bed, but there wasn’t enough evidence to determine whether the death was a homicide or an accident.

A parish grand jury declined to indict King on a second-degree murder count in his son’s death.

Authorities discovered nearly a pound of marijuana inside King’s home when they search it after the toddler’s death.

Both of King’s cases are assigned to state District Judge Trudy White.