OPENING THIS WEEK
- “CHRISTMAS AND ALL THAT JAZZ”: 8 p.m. Saturday, Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Singer Ingrid Luccia and her band perform holiday favorites and more, with a dash of pizazz. $15. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- “CHRISTMAS CONCERTO”: 8 p.m. Thursday through Sunday, Marigny Opera House, 725 St. Ferdinand St., New Orleans. Marigny Opera Ballet premieres a holiday celebration in three parts featuring new works by local choreographers. Music will be performed by the New Resonance Chamber Orchestra. $30, $20 students/seniors. (504) 948-9998. marignyoperahouse.org.
- “DEEPLY ROOTED”: 7 p.m., Thursday through Saturday; Freda Lupin Memorial Hall, NOCCA, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. NOCCA Dance Department presents a winter dance concert of ballet, modern, tap and jazz. $15. nocca.com.
- “DISNEY LIVE! THREE CLASSIC FAIRY TALES”: 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday, also 10:30 a.m. and 4 p.m. Friday; UNO Lakefront Arena, 6801 Franklin Ave., New Orleans. “Cinderella,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Snow White and Seven Dwarves” are blended into one family-friendly musical production. $15 and up. (504) 280-7222. arena.uno.edu.
- “HAPPY END”: 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Sundays, through Dec. 19; AllWays Lounge, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Bertolt Brecht and Kurt Weill’s follow-up to “The Threepenny Opera,” this show is a variation on the classic good and evil battle. $20 and up. (504) 218-5778. theallwayslounge.com.
- “IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE —A LIVE RADIO PLAY”: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, also Dec. 18-19; 2 :30 p.m. Sunday, also Dec. 20; 30 x Ninety Theatre, 880 Lafayette St., Mandeville. Adaptation of holiday classic film as a live 1940s-style broadcast. $10 and up. 1 (844) 843-3090. facebook.com/30xninety.
- “LET THERE BE LIGHT”: 8 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday; Playmakers Inc., 19106 Playmakers Road, Covington. Tale of students in Midwestern town blending religious traditions into a holiday event. $8. (985) 893-1671. playmakersinc.com.
- “THE NIGHTMARE BEFORE CHRISTMAS BURLESQUE”: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 8 p.m. Monday, through Dec. 19; Old Marquer Theatre, 2400 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. A sexy, satirical twist on Tim Burton’s classic film of Jack Skellington’s investigation of Christmas. $12 and up. (504) 298-8676. oldmarquer.com.
- “SMALL CRAFT WARNINGS”: 8 p.m. Thursdays, Fridays, Mondays; 7 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, through Dec. 20; Mapg’s 940, 940 Elysian Fields Ave., New Orleans. The Tennessee Williams Theatre Company presents Williams’ story of a cast of characters stranded in a bar in an immersive environment. $20 and up. (504) 264-2580. twtheatrenola.com.
- STAND-UP NOLA!: 8 p.m., Friday, Joy Theater, 1200 Canal St., New Orleans. Comedy showcase featuring Matt Owens, Ariel Elias, Scotland Green, C.J. Junt, Carrey Bee, Tony Frederick, Julie Mitchell and Allison Hotard. $20. (504) 208-1180. the joytheater.com.
- “THIS CHRISTMAS”: 6:30 p.m. Friday through Sunday; City Church, 13123 I-10 Service Road, New Orleans. Broadway-style musical and dinner playhouse celebrates the season. $39. (504) 246-5121. citychurchno.com/christmas/.
- UMDABU SOUTH AFRICAN DANCE THEATRE: 7 p.m. Saturday, Ashé Cultural Arts Center, 1712 O.C. Haley Blvd., New Orleans. Special performance to close Holiday on the Boulevard marketplace. $25, includes 2016 membership. (504) 569-9070. ashecac.org.
- MICHAEL CERVERIS: 7:30 p.m. Monday, New Orleans Center for Creative Arts, 2800 Chartres St. (504) 940-2787.
- “THE AMAZING ACRO-CATS’ ‘MEOWY CATMUS IN MEW ORLEANS’ ”: Various times and dates through Dec. 20; The Theatre at St. Claude, 2240 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. This troupe of former stray felines entertains with a holiday show. A portion of the proceeds are donated to animal welfare. $23 and up. (504) 638-6326. thetheatreatstclaude.com.
- “THE BLUEST EYE”: 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, through Dec. 20; Le Petit Theatre du Vieux Carre, 616 St. Peter St., New Orleans. Stage adaptation of Toni Morrison’s work about the legacy of racism in a small Ohio town. $35 and up. (504) 522-2081. lepetittheatre.com.
- “CHARLES DICKENS’ A CHRISTMAS CAROL”: 7:30 p.m. Thursdays through Saturdays, 3 p.m. Sundays, also Dec. 19, through Dec. 20; Nims Theatre, University of New Orleans, 2000 Lakeshore Drive, New Orleans. John “Spud” McConnell brings Ebenezer Scrooge to life in the classic retelling of this heartwarming tale of redemption and holiday spirit. $15 and up. southernrep.com.
- “A CHRISTMAS CAROL”: 7:30 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, 2:30 p.m. Saturdays and Sundays, through Dec. 20, Bayou Playhouse, 101 Main St., Lockport. Commedia dell’Arte adaptation of classic Dickens tale. $25 advance, $27 door. 1 (888) 992-2968. bayouplayhouse.com.
- “A CRESCENT CITY CHRISTMAS”: 7:30 p.m., Thursday through Saturday, Nims Black Box Theatre, New Orleans Center for the Creative Arts, 2800 Chartres St., New Orleans. Second Star Performance Collective presents a premiere of Ren French’s Christmas Eve tale about a live radio broadcast at an orphanage. Opening night costumes encouraged, plus a raffle for prizes. $20. secondstarperformancecollective.com.
- “THE SNOW QUEEN”: Friday to Sunday; Slidell Little Theatre, 2024 Nellie Drive, Slidell. Stage version of the classic Hans Christian Andersen story. $25 adults, $15 youth/students. (985) 641-0324. slidelllittletheatre.org.
- “FANCY NANCY’S SPLENDIFEROUS CHRISTMAS”: 7 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 1 p.m. Saturday and Sunday, 11 a.m. Saturday; Rivertown Theaters for the Performing Arts, 325 Minor St., Kenner. Based on the popular children’s book, Fancy Nancy is back with a holiday tale, full of music and merriment. Special tea and brunch offerings Saturday and Sunday, separate charge. $16. (504) 461-9475. rivertowntheaters.com.
- “SISTER ACT”: 7:30 p.m. Friday and Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday; Jefferson Performing Arts Center, 6400 Airline Drive, Metairie. The popular movie about a lounge singer and an order of nuns comes to life on stage in this Tony Award-winning musical. $40 and up. (504) 885-2000. jpas.org.
- “THE VICTORY BELLES PRESENT A SWINGIN’ CHRISTMAS”: Through Dec. 30, various days; 11:45 a.m. seating for buffet, 12:45 p.m. show; Wednesday; BB’s Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. The canteens trio celebrates the holiday music that kept the spirit of the season burning during the war years. $30 and up. (504) 528-1944, ext. 273. nationalww2museum.org.
- “THE WINTER’S TALE”: 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays to Sundays through Dec. 20; New Orleans Museum of Art, 1 Collins Diboll Circle, City Park, New Orleans. The NOLA Project brings one of Shakespeare’s most beautiful and haunting plays to life in the Great Hall of the museum. $30, $20 students/NOMA members/Backstage Pass members. (504) 302-9117. nolaproject.com.
- THE CREOLE SWEET TEASE BURLESQUE SHOW: 9 p.m. Friday, The Saint Hotel Burgundy Bar, 931 Canal St. (504) 522-5400.
- “THE NUTCRACKER”: Opening Dec. 18, 7 p.m., also 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Dec. 19; Orpheum Theater, 129 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans. New Orleans Ballet Theatre, under the direction of Gregory and Marjorie Schramel, bring the world of the young Clara and her nutcracker to life. $25 and up. (504) 210-0222. neworleansballettheatre.com.
- “THE NUTCRACKER”: Opening Dec. 18, 7 p.m. and Dec. 19-20, 2 p.m.; Dixon Hall, Tulane University, 6823 St. Charles Ave., New Orleans. Delta Festival Ballet, under the direction of Joseph and Maria Giacobbe, presents the holiday classic, featuring soloist Irina Sapozhnikova and Joseph Phillips and more than 100 local dancers. The Louisiana Philharmonic Orchestra accompanies. $28 and up. (504) 888-0931. deltafestivalballet.com.
- “THE NUTCRACKER”: Opening 7:30 p.m. Dec. 19, and 2 p.m. Dec. 20, Jefferson Performing Arts Center, 6400 Airline Drive, Metairie. Jefferson Performing Arts Society brings more than 100 dancers under the direction of Diane Carney and the Jefferson Symphony Orchestra, led by Maestro Dennis G. Assaf, in the premiere grand ballet at the center. $40 and up. (504) 885-2000. jpas.org.
- “THE TEN TENORS — HOME FOR THE HOLIDAYS”: 7:30 p.m. Sunday, Dec. 20, Orpheum Theater, 129 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans. Australian ensemble of tenors bring their holiday show to New Orleans, with traditional and contemporary seasonal favorites. $38 and up. (504) 274-4870. orpheumnola.com.
- “LIGHTWIRE THEATER —A VERY ELECTRIC CHRISTMAS”: 7:30 p.m. Dec. 26, Orpheum Theater, 129 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans. Illuminating production for all ages with special effects, dancing and lights. $18 and up. (504) 274-4870. orpheumnola.com.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, La Nuit Comedy Theatre, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
- NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Neutral Ground Coffee House, 5110 Danneel St., New Orleans. (504) 891-3381.
- THURSDAYJACK: 8 p.m., Thursdays in December, Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Jodi Borrello with the Mike Liuzza Band. $8 and up. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- “AND THEN THERE WERE NONE”: 7 p.m., Jan. 4-5, Playmakers Inc., 19106 Playmakers Road, Covington. Classic Agatha Christie saga of singular eliminations of guests in a secluded home. (985) 893-1671. playmakersinc.com.