East Baton Rouge Parish Mayor-President Kip Holden said Thursday he is 90 percent sure he will run this fall for Louisiana’s 2nd Congressional District seat in the U.S. House of Representatives.
Holden said he expects to commit to a decision by the second week of April and that he is conferring with his family, friends and political allies. He would be challenging Cedric Richmond, a Democrat who has held the seat since 2010.
“It’s a natural progression for me,” said the term-limited mayor who was previously a state senator, state representative and East Baton Rouge Parish Metro Council member. Holden lost a bid to become the state’s lieutenant governor last year.
Holden said he’s been encouraged by support from people who have asked him to run. He said he will not disclose any platforms or plans for change until he makes an official announcement but that he believes he can serve people more efficiently.
Asked if he wanted to respond to a possible challenge from Holden, Richmond said in a statement, “There is a time for campaigning and a time for governing. My main focus now is working to ensure FEMA is cooperating with our local officials and that our people are receiving the assistance they need in light of the recent tornadoes and flooding that have ravaged our state.”
The 2nd District is a majority-black district that includes much of New Orleans and parts of Baton Rouge. It stretches northwest from New Orleans through Jefferson, St. James, St. John the Baptist, Iberville, West Baton Rouge, St. Charles, Assumption, Ascension and East Baton Rouge parishes.