Two dogs died from injuries suffered in a Friday afternoon fire that destroyed one house and damaged two others.

Baton Rouge Fire Department firefighters responded to the 1500 block of North 36th Street just off Gus Young Avenue shortly before 1:30 p.m. to a home engulfed in flames, Curt Monte, a department spokesman, said in a news release.

The fire, which was sparked by an overloaded electrical outlet, spread to two neighboring houses, but firefighters were able to minimize the damage to those homes, Monte said.

No people were injured in the fire.

Firefighters pulled one dog from the fire, but the owners later had the dog euthanized because its injuries were so severe. East Baton Rouge Parish Animal Control & Rescue Center personnel transported the injured dog from the house for euthanasia, Monte said.

Another smaller dog also died in the fire, Monte said.

The American Red Cross is assisting five residents of the three homes displaced by the fire.