OPENING THIS WEEK
- “BEAUTY AND THE BEAST”: 7:30 p.m. Tuesday, through Jan. 3 at various times, including New Year’s Eve and Day; Saenger Theatre, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. The Disney classic comes to life in a dazzling show about the bookish Belle and the prince changed into a beast by an enchantress. $50 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “DANCING WITH THE STARS LIVE”: 4 p.m. and 7 p.m. Sunday; Saenger Theatre, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. The television phenomenon comes to Canal Street in the “Dance All Night Tour.” Army National Guard Specialist Alek Skarlatos will be joining his season 21 partner, Lindsay Arnold Alan Bersten, Sharna Burgess, Brittany Cherry, Artem Chigvintsev, Valentin Chmerkovskiy, Jenna Johnson, Keo Motsepe, Peta Murgatroyd and Emma Slater. $45 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “LIGHTWIRE THEATER —A VERY ELECTRIC CHRISTMAS”: 7:30 p.m. Saturday, Orpheum Theater, 129 Roosevelt Way, New Orleans. Illuminating production for all ages with special effects, dancing and lights. $18 and up. (504) 274-4870. orpheumnola.com.
- “LOVE, AMERICAN STYLE”: 10 p.m. Friday, Mag’s 940, 940 Elysian Fields Ave., New Orleans. Frederick Mead sings familiar TV tunes from classic shows of the 1950s-90s. $10. (504) 904-1888. mags940bar.com.
- “MOSCOW BALLET’S GREAT RUSSIAN NUTCRACKER”: Opening 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday, Saenger Theatre, 1111 Canal St., New Orleans. Experience the artistry of world-class Russian dancers, playful puppets and the unmatched splendor of hand-crafted sets and costumes in this international production. $32 and up. (504) 525-1052. saengernola.com.
- “THE VICTORY BELLES PRESENT A SWINGIN’ CHRISTMAS”: Through Wednesday, various days; 11:45 a.m. seating for buffet, 12:45 p.m. show; Wednesday; BB’s Stage Door Canteen, National World War II Museum, 945 Magazine St., New Orleans. The canteens trio celebrates the holiday music that kept the spirit of the season burning during the war years. $30 and up. (504) 528-1944, ext. 273. nationalww2museum.org.
- “DITZYLAND!”: Opening 8 p.m. Dec. 31, Fridays and Saturdays plus New Year’s Eve, through Jan. 16; Café Istanbul, Healing Arts Center, 2372 St. Claude Ave., New Orleans. Varla Jean Merman skewers Uncle Walt’s most treasured animated features, joining in this adult send-up of fairy tale madness by Sean Patterson, Ricky Graham and Jefferson Turner on piano. $25. ditzyland.eventbrite.com.
- “DUBLIN CAROL”: Opening 7 p.m. Jan. 2, running Saturdays and Sundays through Jan. 10, 5 p.m. Jan. 3 and 10; Playhouse NOLA, 3214 Burgundy St., New Orleans. Conor McPherson’s deep, delicate story of forgiveness and redemption with Michael Martin, Mason Joiner and Viviane Wolfe. Donations at the door. Reservations firstname.lastname@example.org. (800) 383-4989.
- AMATEUR OPEN MIC NIGHTS: 11 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays, La Nuit Comedy Theatre, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. Comedy Sportz competitive, clean, all-ages improvisation. $12 adults, $8 kids under 18. (504) 390-4958. nolacomedy.com.
- COMEDY GUMBEAUX: 8:30 p.m. Thursdays, Howlin’ Wolf, 907 S. Peters St., New Orleans. Open mic with seasoned performers. comedygumbeaux.com.
- COMEDY NIGHT: 9 p.m., Saturdays, Twist of Lime, 2820 Lime St., Metairie. (504) 455-7775.
- COMEDYSPORTZ: 8 p.m. Saturdays, La Nuit Comedy Theater, 5039 Freret St., New Orleans. All-ages improv comedy show.$10 advance, $13 door. (504) 231-7011. comedysportzneworleans.com.
- NEUTRAL GROUND POETRY FORUM: 6:30 p.m. to 8:30 p.m., Wednesdays, Neutral Ground Coffee House, 5110 Danneel St., New Orleans. (504) 891-3381.
- NEW YEAR’S EVE BASH: 9 p.m., Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Music, food and comedy with Becky Allen, Jim Walpole and Jodi Borrello. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- THINK YOU’RE FUNNY?: 9 p.m., Carrollton Station Bar and Music Club, 8140 Willow St., New Orleans. Signup at 8 p.m. (504) 865-9190.
- THURSDAYJACK: 8 p.m., Thursdays in December, Castle Theatre, 501 Williams Blvd., Kenner. Jodi Borrello with the Mike Liuzza Band. $8 and up. (504) 287-4707. castle501.com.
- “AND THEN THERE WERE NONE”: 7 p.m., Jan. 4 and Jan. 6, Playmakers Inc., 19106 Playmakers Road, Covington. Classic Agatha Christie saga of singular eliminations of guests in a secluded home. Cast includes men and women. (985) 893-1671. playmakersinc.com.
- “RAGTIME”: 5 p.m. Monday and Tuesday, callbacks Jan. 2; Marigny Opera House, 725 St. Ferdinand St., New Orleans. Cripple Creek Players will produce the Tony-winning musical based on E.L. Doctorow’s novel. Director Emilie Whelan seeks 12 actors of diverse age, ethnicity, orientation and identity. Prepare one a capella piece, with sides and additional singing provided at audition. For times, email email@example.com or visit facebook.com/CrippleCreekTheatreCompany