A Baton Rouge man who served prison time for threatening to blow up the downtown state courthouse in 2009 admitted Tuesday that he made additional bomb threats on the city’s state and federal courthouses from behind bars in 2013.
Brian Cavalier, 34, pleaded guilty before Chief U.S. District Judge Brian Jackson to two counts of making threats by mail.
Cavalier was scheduled to stand trial next month on those federal charges. Last month, Jackson found him competent to stand trial.
Cavalier was evaluated after his attorney, David Bourland, filed court documents in 2015 stating Cavalier was suffering from “serious emotional and mental abnormalities/illness and associated conditions.”
Bourland said Tuesday that Cavalier “is emotionally disturbed, but we’ve brought him back to the point where he’s in contact with reality.”
Such was not the case in January 2015 when Bourland indicated Cavalier “believes he is being directed by voices and visions” and that “voices are speaking to him, directing his activities.”
“That he, at times, is directed by a female child, who has a bullet hole in her head, riding a bicycle, and by a purple elephant with pink polka dots,” according to the documents filed in 2015 requesting an examination to determine Cavalier’s mental capacity at the time of the alleged 2013 offenses and his mental capacity to stand trial.
“Also, he is being ordered to organize Taliban while in custody, and that he is being trained by the voices to commit violent acts,” the documents stated.
Cavalier also tried to hang himself while in state Department of Corrections custody but was rescued by security guards, his attorney wrote, adding that he was on at least five prescribed medications for emotional and personality disorders and received treatment at the state mental facility in Jackson.
Bourland said Tuesday that Cavalier, who remains on medication, also has received treatment at federal Bureau of Prison hospitals over the last 10 to 12 months.
Cavalier faces up to 10 years in prison for the 2013 bomb threats. Jackson will sentence him Aug. 18.
Cavalier mailed a letter to U.S. District Court on Nov. 1, 2013, indicating a bomb had been planted in the federal courthouse on Florida Street and would detonate within 24 hours, according to his December 2014 federal grand jury indictment. He sent a second letter to the 19th Judicial District Courthouse on Dec. 2, 2013, stating a bomb would go off soon in the courthouse on North Boulevard.
Both letters contained a white powdery substance, but Bourland said the material was foot powder. The first letter falsely stated that anyone who inhaled the powder would die a “painful death” within 24 hours, U.S. Attorney Walt Green said.
Both letters also warned that “shooters” or armed men with “high power guns” were outside the courthouses. The first letter stated that anyone who tried to leave the federal courthouse would be “shot to death,” Green said, while the second letter said armed men were watching the state courthouse and that they would kill people inside the building as well.
Cavalier was in state custody at the Avoyelles Detention Center in Cottonport when he sent both letters.
The 19th Judicial District Court was located inside the City Hall building on St. Louis Street when Cavalier mailed a bomb threat to the courthouse in 2009. He pleaded guilty in that case in 2012 and was sentenced to 10 years in prison.