Maxwell Gruver had dreams of becoming a sports writer after a lifetime playing, watching and coaching sports, said Eugene Gruver, the teen's grandfather. 

Maxwell Gruver, an LSU freshman pledging the fraternity Phi Delta Theta, died Thursday in what authorities are investigating as a hazing incident. 

"He's very talented, very bright," Eugene Gruver said Friday, his voice breaking, in a phone call with The Advocate from York, Pennsylvania. 

Maxwell Gruver, of Roswell, Georgia, was a pre-Mass Communications major at LSU and his grandfather said he had recently been successful writing, getting articles published locally in his senior year of high school. 

"He had a very happy life in high school. He had a very happy graduation," Eugene Gruver said. "We had a big family get together the night of his graduation. He spent the night with us (instead of out with friends)... that's the kind of guy he was."

Maxwell Gruver was an "excellent swimmer" and played an array of other sports, including football and baseball, throughout his life, his grandfather said. 

He also had coached younger children on their sports teams, Eugene Gruver said. 

"He loved kids," his grandfather said. "(He was) very lovable and caring for people and his family."

An autopsy of the LSU freshman showed that the 18-year-old had a highly elevated blood-alcohol level, according to East Baton Rouge Coroner Beau Clark.

The official cause of death will not be determined until toxicology and other testing is complete, which could take as long as four weeks, Clark said. 

"I cannot understand the hazing," Eugene Gruver said. "He was so happy that he was going to school at LSU."

He said his grandson had attended the LSU football game last Saturday. 

Can't see video below? Click here.


The tragedy prompted LSU President F. King Alexander to indefinitely halt all Greek activity on campus. The fraternity, Phi Delta Theta, has been suspended by its general headquarters and the university.

"Hazing is dangerous, irresponsible and unacceptable," said LSU President F. King Alexander at a news conference Thursday evening. "It will not be tolerated at LSU, period."

The students living in the Phi Delta Theta house, at 23 Dalrymple Drive, had to move out immediately, said LSU spokesman Ernie Ballard. He said the nine students who had been living in the house had left as of Friday morning. 

Follow Grace Toohey on Twitter, @grace_2e.