Jeannie Mai, beauty and fashion expert and co-host of Fox talk show The Real, reversed her earlier decision and announced Monday that she was stepping down from co-hosting the 2015 Miss USA pageant after all, according to a report by eonline.com.
Mae, who earlier announced she would stay on board despite controversial comments by Miss Universe owner Donald Trump, says Trump’s “ongoing antics” prompted her to change her mind.
To my friends & fans: Last week I announced my heart-felt decision to support the women of Miss USA by remaining on board as a co-host. My focus was strictly on the women involved, who share the same ethics of hard work, commitment and passion for their careers and causes that I do. I have co-hosted for the last five years various Miss Universe events, and I’m grateful for the many women I’ve met and friends I’ve made along the way. I feel terrible that the women competing this year have fallen victim to current events. Let me be clear, I condemn the recent words of Mr. Trump, and find them immensely offensive. At the time I made my decision to remain part of the Miss USA pageant, I was under the impression that Mr. Trump would no longer be involved in the production of the show in any capacity what so ever. In addition, given Mr. Trump's ongoing antics, including his most recent episode today with the current Miss Universe, it is clear that Mr. Trump’s actions have and will continue to distract focus away from the real stars of the show - the women involved in the pageant. Therefore, I am respectfully withdrawing from my responsibilities and commitment as co-host of Miss USA. From the beginning, I announced publicly that I was donating my compensation to a worthy charity. Although I will no longer be participating as a co-host, I still want to support the women competing in the pageant. I feel the best way to show that is to lend my support to this year's winner of Miss USA and to make the donation I promised to her platform and charity. Ladies, you worked so hard to get here. I am proud of who you are and wish you the best of luck Sunday evening.
The pageant now has no hosts and no performers lined up for the competition that is a few days away. Miss USA spokeswoman Jackie Shahinian said information on new hosts and new performers is forthcoming.
One week ago, hosts Cheryl Burke — known for her long stint on “Dancing with the Stars” — and MSNBC Live host Thomas Roberts pulled out of co-hosting the pageant. Rapper Flo Rida, singer Natalie LaRose and country artist Craig Wayne Boyd also canceled their performances for the pageant, according to reports from The Associated Press.