A 50-year-old Baton Rouge woman was convicted Friday in the 2012 shooting death of her 37-year-old boyfriend with whom she had a turbulent relationship.

An East Baton Rouge Parish jury found Jacqulyne Scott guilty of second-degree murder in the killing of Dale Vincent Bentley at his Bartlett Street home on Aug. 11, 2012.

Scott now faces an automatic term of life in prison. State District Judge Trudy White will sentence her Dec. 3. The judge ordered Scott held without bail.

Bentley’s relieved father, Dale Bentley Sr., said afterward that the verdict lifted “a big weight off our family’s shoulders.”

Bentley acknowledged his son was no angel but said he did not deserve to die the way he did.

“She just destroyed two families,” he said. “I feel sorry for her family.”

Police say Scott went to Bentley’s home the morning of Aug. 11, 2012, and began arguing with him. She shot Bentley multiple times under his carport.

East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney Hillar Moore III said Scott testified in her own defense but could not explain why she shot Bentley in the back — and not at close range — if he was attacking her as she claimed.

Scott and Bentley had been in a three-year relationship marred by domestic violence, police have said.