A dozen Baton Rouge-area businesses, led by information technology firm Transformyx in the 697th spot, made Inc. magazine’s list of the 5,000 fastest-growing companies, along with four Lafayette firms.
Transformyx grew its revenue from $1 million in 2010 to $8.1 million in 2013, an increase of 652 percent. The Inc. list measures revenue growth from 2010-2013. Companies submit their information to Inc. to be considered. Marketing specialist Potenza grew its revenue by 447 percent, tops among Lafayette-area companies, finishing in 1,002th place.
In all, 41 Louisiana companies made the list with Pontchartrain Partners, a New Orleans-based construction company, the highest-ranking at 38th. The company’s revenue soared 6,535 percent to $10.5 million. Pontchartrain was one of 16 New Orleans-area firms on the list.
Baton Rouge-based IT company Verma Systems made the list for the second year in a row, coming in at 4,210 with 68 percent revenue growth.
President Mitch Verma credited the 23-year-old company’s recent growth to an approach that focuses on the big picture for customers, such as helping them prevent problems through monitoring, maintenance and scheduled replacement rather than fixing things when they break.
Verma Systems has had virtually no turnover in the last eight years, he said.
“It’s important. You want to see the same IT person every time. You don’t want to see a new face every time,” Verma said.
The company shifted to providing solutions and away from being “computer fix-it guys,” sharply reducing the hours the staff worked, he said.
“I don’t care how much you pay someone or how good an environment you provide at work, if they’re having to work ’til 6, 7, 10 o’clock, midnight, 6 a.m. fighting fires, at some point their family or they are going to say, ‘I’ve got to make a change,’ ” Verma said.
The company has 19 engineers and on average only one works past 5 p.m. every month, Verma said.
Pontchartrain President and Chief Executive Officer Danny Blanks said the company’s partners made a plan and stuck to it, using every cent possible to grow the company.
“We had a strategy, and it worked. We had a short-term goal and a long-term goal,” Blanks said. “We went from saying we were going to pursue service contracts and then use the service contracts to grow the construction side.”
The other Baton Rouge-area companies on the list are:
- No. 731, Ruston Properties, a real estate brokerage, construction and management company, which had 625 percent growth.
- No. 2,509. Resource Environmental Services, which supplies ecological offsets, restoring wetlands, streams and habitat for projects that affect wetlands, and posted 151 percent growth.
- No. 2,652. Envoc, development and designers specializing in custom software, corporate brand and Web presence and mobile application development. They had 141 percent growth.
- No. 2,812. Investar Holding, parent company of Investar Bank. The company, which went public in May, had 131 percent growth.
- No. 3,113. ShoppersChoice.com, an online retailer of specialty products for homes, which had 114 percent growth.
- No. 3,169. inoLECT, which provides power engineering company designs, implements and manages needs assessments, and had 111 percent growth.
- No. 3,607. Mesh/Integrated Marketing & Advertising, an advertising and marketing firm, that recorded 90 percent growth.
- No. 4,258. SparkHound, an IT staffing and consulting, mobile and web applications and database design firm. It had 66 percent growth.
- No. 4,813. InfiniEdge Software, a designer of custom software, website and web applications, that had 48 percent growth.
- No. 4,888. General Informatics, IT consultants specializing in network planning, installation, management and security. They had 46 percent growth.
In addition to Potenza, the Lafayette-area firms on the list are:
- No. 2,221. Logojet USA, a Broussard-based supplier and manufacturer of inkjet printing equipment. It had revenue growth of 177 percent.
- No. 3,486, Quality Companies USA, a Youngsville oil-and-gas service firm that provides onshore fabrication, facility maintenance and upgrades, and personnel. The company had revenue growth of 95 percent.
- No. 4,611, Golfballs.com, an online seller of top-brand golf merchandise and equipment. They had revenue growth of 55 percent.
The complete list of the Louisiana members of the Inc. 5000 list can be found at http://www.inc.com/inc5000/index.html
Follow Ted Griggs on Twitter, @tedgriggsbr.