The Advocate was named as a finalist for five digital journalism awards Wednesday by Editor and Publisher, a trade publication for the news industry.
Editor and Publisher received more than 300 entries for its EPPY awards, a digital news contest in its 22nd year.
The finalists are:
- An interactive graphic by Dan Swenson showing the damage to a single street, West Wendover Drive, that resulted from the 2016 Baton Rouge flooding.
- An initiative in which more than 150 readers honored the Cajun Navy heroes who rescued them from the Baton Rouge flood.
- A series of photos taken after a drunken driver plowed into the crowd at the Endymion parade, taken by photographer Scott Threlkeld. Threlkeld shot the photos after he was assaulted by a bystander for doing his job.
- Cartoons and animations by Walt Handelsman.
- The New Orleans Advocate, which was named as one of four finalists for best daily news website.
The winners will be announced next week. There were no other Louisiana finalists.