Hess Corp. said Monday production has begun from the Tubular Bells Field, 135 miles southeast of New Orleans in the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.

Hess owns 57.1 percent of the field and operates the wells there. Chevron USA owns the remaining 42.9 percent.

New York-based Hess expects three wells will be producing in the field by the end of the year, with daily production of around 50,0000 barrels.

The Tubular Bells Field was discovered in 2003 and the development was sanctioned in October 2011. It lies in approximately 4,300 feet of water.

Tubular Bells utilizes the first classic spar built in the United States. The design and construction were done entirely in the U.S. creating an estimated 7,000 direct and indirect jobs in Texas and Louisiana, according to Hess.

The 584-foot long spar, a cylinder 85 feet in diameter, had to be built on its side and towed out to the site because no port is that deep.