Sidney Averett kicked in the door and fired the first shot in the Feb. 3 gunfight with an off-duty Livingston Parish deputy on Country Club Lane in Denham Springs, State Police said Friday.

He was armed with multiple weapons but apparently ran out of ammunition during the shootout and went back to his vehicle either to reload or retrieve another gun before returning to the house and firing again, Lt. J.B. Slaton said.

The deputy, David Johnson, returned fire with a sidearm, though Slaton said he was unsure if the gun was his service weapon.

The lieutenant declined to comment on the specific guns used or how many shots were fired, saying the information would not be released until the investigation was completed.

Averett was shot twice in his extremities, and Slaton said the wounds were consistent with Johnson’s gun. However, those wounds were not life-threatening. Averett died after shooting himself, authorities have said.

Investigators believe Averett killed himself after Johnson and Stephanie Averett — described as Johnson’s girlfriend and Sidney Averett’s estranged wife — escaped the home and after responding deputies had arrived on the scene.

He was dead when he was found, though Slaton declined to say where he was found. It did not appear that any responding deputies discharged their weapons, the lieutenant continued.

“There’s no question that this ... is an attempted murder-suicide,” Slaton said.

The lieutenant was interviewed Friday, a day after The Advocate published excerpts from 911 recordings from during the shootout.

In tapes released this week by the Sheriff’s Office, Johnson identifies himself to dispatch and says Sidney Averett had gone to the Country Club Lane home and began beating at the door. The deputy says Sidney Averett was dissatisfied with court proceedings from earlier in the day. Court records show the Averetts had been scheduled to appear for a divorce proceeding.

Sidney and Stephanie Averett had received restraining orders against each other, according to court documents and law enforcement.

“(Sidney) Averett was in violation of a protective order” when he went to Stephanie Averett’s home, Slaton said.

Shortly after calling dispatch, Johnson said Sidney Averett had a gun and soon after that, shots were fired. In the recordings, he describes fleeing to a back bedroom of the house as deputies arriving on scene direct him and Stephanie Averett out a window.

Slaton said Stephanie Averett retreated through the house with Johnson. The final shot was heard after they had both escaped, as responding deputies converged on the scene.

The Livingston Parish Coroner’s Office said Friday the findings from Sidney Averett’s autopsy would be released through State Police. Trooper 1st Class Jared Sandifer said Thursday the state’s investigation was nearing completion.