A Monday afternoon wreck in Texas put two youths from a Hammond-area church in intensive care, and sent two other members of the church to a hospital, the pastor said Tuesday.

Youths from New Beulah Baptist Church, in Baptist, were on their way to Colorado when one recreational vehicle carrying parents and the youths lost control and crashed, said the Rev. L.C. Lord, the church’s pastor.

The youths were traveling in two RVs about 50 miles east of Dallas when the wreck occurred, Lord said.

The crash happened about 3:50 p.m., said Lonny Haschel, a spokesman for the Texas Department of Public Safety.

The RV involved in the crash, with a sport-utility vehicle in tow, was being driven by the owner, Carolyn Gilmore, Lord said.

“The draft of a passing semi caused the driver to lose control,” Haschel said.

“One of those 18-wheelers just whizzed by her, and that Explorer got to wishy-washing and got out of control,” Lord said.

The Explorer rolled and pulled the RV into the guardrail, Haschel said.

“During that collision, the side of the RV opened up and one 15-year-old passenger slid out and under the Explorer,” Haschel said.

That passenger, identified by Lord as Brittany Cutrer, was air-lifted to Baylor Medical Center in Dallas, Haschel said.

Three other passengers, a 17-year-old, a 16-year-old and adult Melanie Stewart, were transported by ambulance to Baylor Medical Center for treatment of injuries not serious enough to threaten their lives, Haschel said.

Gilmore, the driver of the wrecked RV, was wearing her seat belt and was not injured, Haschel said.

Lord was traveling in the RV ahead of the one that crashed, he said.

When the trailing RV wrecked, occupants of the leading RV were not immediately aware of what had happened, Lord said.

When the people in the leading RV arrived back at the accident site, police were on the scene, Lord said.

Cutrer suffered a broken pelvis and other injuries, Lord said, and underwent surgery Tuesday afternoon.

The others had all been released from the hospital, he said.

Many of the travelers were still in Dallas, Lord said, though arrangements were being made to send them home Wednesday.

“It was a devastating afternoon,” Lord said.