Deputy arrested after banging cuffed inmate’s head against wall, Livingston Parish sheriff says _lowres

Karleen Leglue

A Livingston Parish deputy was fired, arrested and booked into the same jail where she had worked after allegedly beating an inmate Tuesday, Sheriff Jason Ard said.

Former Cpl. Karleen Leglue, 35, who joined the Sheriff’s Office in 2012, was booked on counts of second-degree battery and malfeasance in office.

Around 3 a.m. Tuesday, she grabbed handcuffed inmate Londi Lafleur, 41, and “forced her body against a concrete wall. Lafleur’s head hit the wall, causing a large knot on the left side of her face,” according to a news release.

In an interview, Ard said he could not comment on an inmate’s medical information. He did say an affidavit — which his office did not provide Wednesday — states Lafleur believed her jaw was broken.

The incident was caught on video, which “will not be released pending prosecution,” the release states.

Ard said the video shows Lafleur did not physically provoke Leglue, though the recording does not have audio. Leglue had been moving the inmate for disciplinary reasons, but Ard said he didn’t know the specific details.

Lafleur was booked into the jail Monday on various traffic, drug and theft counts, according to the weekly roster provided to news outlets. She did not appear in the jail’s online records Wednesday afternoon. Ard said she was still being held in the jail but had asked to be transferred out of general population. Lafleur’s son, Anthony Baudier, called the jail and was told she was in a medical area.

Lafleur’s family members said they were glad Leglue was swiftly arrested and fired but were upset about other aspects of the case. Her mother, Pat Lafleur, did not know her daughter had been attacked until an Advocate reporter arrived at her home in Walker, which also is listed on jail records as Londi Lafleur’s address.

Her hands began to gently tremble as she read the sheriff’s statement.

“We should know what’s wrong,” she said. “We don’t even know the injuries.”

Baudier called the jail and said he spoke to Warden Perry Rushing about his mother.

“(Rushing) just spit some laws at me and told me he couldn’t talk about it,” Baudier said.

He said he was told he could not speak to his mother on the phone and that family members are notified only in life-threatening cases.

“They’re not handling it in the right way,” Baudier said.

The Sheriff’s Office kept mum about the beating for about a day-and-a-half, issuing an official statement less than an hour before journalists received the weekly jail roster, where Leglue and her counts are listed.

She was released the same day she was booked after posting a $35,000 bond.

Pat Lafleur said Wednesday night that a family member had been told Londi Lafleur had been released, though relatives and friends didn’t know the details and could not reach her by phone. Ard did not immediately return a phone call seeking clarification.

Attempts to reach Leglue for comment Wednesday were unsuccessful, and a spokeswoman for the District Attorney’s Office said they have not received word whether a defense attorney has been enrolled in her case.

Baudier wondered if the woman who was “bullying” his mother ever victimized other inmates, though Ard said he was not aware of any instances in which Leglue was disciplined.

“This is an unfortunate incident. It’s never pleasant to arrest one of your own,” the sheriff said in a statement.

“But this type of behavior will not be tolerated while I am Sheriff in Livingston Parish. No one is above the law.”

Follow Steve Hardy on Twitter, @SteveRHardy.