Joshua Hearld

A state prisoner serving time for a violent domestic assault and who escaped from work-release in Convent on Friday was recaptured Monday, said Dawn Panepinto, a spokeswoman for the Tangipahoa Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Joshua Hearld, 30, of Antioch Boulevard in Baton Rouge, was serving a sentence for aggravated battery, according to court and law enforcement sources. He was being held in the Tangipahoa jail but was working in a state Department of Corrections-approved work release program for a tugboat company in Convent when he escaped custody, P anepinto said in an earlier email.

Hearld pleaded guilty to aggravated battery in May 2011. According to an affidavit filed in the 19th Judicial District Court, the previous November he attacked his girlfriend — punching her, slamming her head into a mirror and burning her with a hot flat iron.

Baton Rouge police who took the victim’s statement noted she had burn marks on her arms and bruises on her arms, neck and face when she went to the precinct to report the crime. It was not the first time Hearld had beaten her, she told police.

An officer found Hearld at Our Lady of the Lake Regional Medical Center, where he was receiving treatment for a shoulder he dislocated while beating his girlfriend, the affidavit states. He was placed under arrest at the hospital.

When he was discharged, police escorted Hearld to a police car outside. As they tried to put him in the car, Hearld tried to run away, ignoring commands to stop. He ran about 50 yards before an officer used a Taser to stop him.

Hearld was sentenced in August 2011, when he entered state custody. He was placed at the Tangipahoa jail and began participating in the Sheriff’s Office work-release program in June 2013, Department of Corrections spokeswoman Pam Laborde said.

He was reported missing Friday when workers could not find him at the beginning of a shift at the tugboat company where he had been assigned, she continued.

She referred specific questions to the Sheriff’s Office. Panepinto did not return messages requesting more information on the circumstances of Hearld’s disappearance or criteria for participating in the department’s work-release program.

She said the Sheriff’s Office, Department of Corrections and other agencies had worked together to track Hearld down. No information was available late Monday on where he was found.

He was scheduled to be released in April 2016, Laborde said.

Follow Steve Hardy on Twitter, @SteveRHardy.