SORRENTO — Former Sorrento Mayor Wilson R. Longanecker Sr. has announced he is seeking to return to office and will run for mayor on the April 6 ballot.
His son and the current mayor, Wilson R. Longanecker Jr., decided not to run for re-election, and the 73-year-old Democrat decided he would seek the office he held from 1989 to 1997. He had previously served on the town’s council from 1976 to 1989.
The U.S. Marine Corps veteran touted some of the accomplishments of his administration — the town’s first sewerage grant, the extension of Guedry Street, contracting out garbage service and a yearly discount on garbage bills for senior citizens.
“Some of my goals will be to try to attract new businesses and jobs for our citizens, look at extending our sewerage to the Interstate 10 area, working toward acquiring a library (and) applying for grants to benefit our children, senior citizens, general public, police and fire departments,” Longanecker Sr. said.
Longanecker said he wanted to bring some stability to a town that has seen a rash of resignations in recent years.
“I’m ready to face the challenges that are ahead for our town and would like to take this opportunity to humbly ask for your vote of support for mayor in the upcoming town of Sorrento election,” he said.