Louisiana Vets Fest, a festival honoring military veterans, will be held Friday and Saturday at the West Feliciana Parish Sports Park off U.S. 61 north of St. Francisville, featuring cooking contests, entertainment and live and silent auctions.
The gumbo cooked for Friday’s competition and the barbecued chicken, smoked brisket, pulled pork and jambalaya prepared Saturday will be sold to the public. Serving starts at 6:30 p.m. Friday and 11:30 a.m. Saturday.
The festival begins at 9 a.m. Saturday, and World War II and Korean War veterans will be recognized on the stage at 10:45 a.m. Free entertainment, educational activities and children’s activities are planned throughout Saturday.
The proceeds will be used to help veterans whose needs are not met by other veterans organizations.
Veterans Day activities
Other area events to honor veterans include:
- West Feliciana schools’ salute to veterans, 9 a.m. Friday at West Feliciana High School’s auditorium.
- Northeast High School, 9 a.m. Friday.
- Louisiana War Veterans Home, 4739 La. 10, Jackson, 10 a.m. Friday.
- Memorial services for deceased veterans in East Feliciana Parish cemeteries: 10 a.m. Friday, Hillcrest Cemetery, Norwood; 9 a.m. Sunday, Dawson Cemetery, Jackson; 2 p.m. Sunday, town of Jackson cemetery; 2 p.m. Sunday, Masonic Cemetery, Clinton; and 2 p.m. Sunday, Redwood Cemetery, Slaughter, also recognizing veterans buried in Feliciana Cemetery.
- Zachary flag ceremony, 2 p.m. Sunday, Train Depot museum; Port Hudson National Cemetery Director Rex Kern will be the guest speaker.
- Baker Veterans Day ceremony, 2 p.m. Sunday, Veterans Plaza, Baker City Park, 3325 Groom Road; Robert E. Douglas, guest speaker.
- Veterans Day flag-raising program, 7:30 a.m. Monday at Bank of Zachary, 4743 Main St., with participation by Zachary High students. Refreshments will be served after the ceremony.
The Campina Grande Chamber Choir from Brazil will present a free concert at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the auditorium of Zachary High School’s new Visual and Performing Arts Center. The public is invited to attend.
Clinton Center meeting
The executive board of the East Feliciana Community Center will have a public meeting at 6:30 p.m. Thursday at the Art Barn, 11085 Bank St., Clinton, to select new board members for the organization. The organization’s goal is to preserve the Old Clinton High School as a community center for East Feliciana Parish.
The National Kidney Foundation of Louisiana is sponsoring free kidney screenings from 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. Saturday at Shady Grove Missionary Baptist Church, 16443 Plank Road, Baker. Call (504) 861-4500 to register for an appointment.
Lane Regional Medical Center in Zachary offers a free education program at 10 a.m. Monday for congestive heart failure patients and their caregivers. Free lunch will be provided.
Registration is required; call (225) 654-5263.
To submit news about Baker, Zachary and the Felicianas, call James Minton at (225) 775-7005; fax: (225) 774-6485; email: email@example.com. Deadline: noon Wednesday.