ZACHARY - An incident that prompted a lockdown of schools apparently began as an attempt to burglarize and abduct a couple from a home on Redbud Drive Tuesday morning, Police Chief David Courtney said.

Zachary police got a call at 6:30 a.m. about shots being fired on Redbud, and investigating officers determined two men tried to burglarize and abduct a husband and a wife from a home there, Courtney said.

Shots were fired during the attempted burglary and kidnapping, but no one was hit. Officers do not yet know who fired the shots.

A police dog and handler found one suspect, Chase Smith, 33, of the New Orleans area, in a field near the victims’ home. Officers determined the other suspect, who has not been identified, fled in a vehicle he and Smith had parked near the field, Courtney said.

Smith is in custody and will be booked into Parish Prison later today.

Officers found tools on Smith that they said they believe would have been used in a home invasion. Smith was not armed at the time of his arrest.

Courtney said the incident does not appear to be random and the victims could have been targeted.

Zachary School Superintendent Warren Drake said Northwestern Elementary, Northwestern Middle, Zachary High and the Zachary Early Learning Center were put on lockdown and police officers were positioned at each school.

The schools were taken off lockdown after police notified Drake that one suspect had been caught and another had fled.

An automated phone call about the lockdown went out to all parents who have children in Zachary public schools, Drake said.