Ethel Baptist Church celebrated its 87th year during an Oct. 19 homecoming celebration on the church grounds.
Ethel Baptist Church was first organized on Jan. 30, 1927. Twenty people met in the home of church member F.H. Lee to organize Ethel Baptist Church. Officers and teachers for Sunday School were elected and the church voted to purchase three lots for $150 near Ethel High School.
The following year, at 4784 W.T. Price Road, in Ethel, a building was erected. In 1954, the old high school buildings were purchased and torn down to make way for new facilities.
Those facilities are in use today as a fellowship hall and Sunday School space. At one time or another, the church has shared preachers with Slaughter, Zachary, Wilson, Gurley and Jackson.