On June 9, Mighty Moms moved its food pantry service to the pavilion at Immaculate Conception Catholic Church, 865 Hatchell Lane, Denham Springs. Food is handed out on the second Saturday of every month. Visit the Mighty Moms Facebook page for information.
Hurricane season is here. Don't forget the other part of your family in your prep. The Louisiana SPCA released a Pet Evacuation Checklist.
The list for dogs and cats is very similar. Have these items ready for evacuation:
- ID tags, rabies tags and up-to-date microchip information
- Collar and leash
- Food and bottled water
- Can opener if needed
- Crate or pet carrier
- Vaccination records
- Current photo of your pet
- Veterinarian contact information
- Toys and treats
- Paper towels and cleaning sprays
- First aid kit
- Muzzle, if needed
- Plastic bags for pet waste
- Small litter box and litter for cats
Visit la-spca.org/evacuation to find a checklist that includes snakes, birds and rabbits.
Information for seniors
The Livingston Council on Aging will host a Seniors Health, Wellness and Information Day from 9 a.m. to noon Thursday, June 14, at 949 Government Drive, Denham Springs. All seniors 60 and older are invited.
- Friends of the Livingston Parish Library system is holding a book sale from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. at the Denham Springs/Walker branch, 8101 Florida Blvd. Proceeds support library programs.
- Grand Country Junction, Suma Crossing Theatre, Satsuma. The Branson-style show is held the third Saturday of every month. Call (225) 567-3516 or (985) 507-9432.
- Science With Inexpensive Materials at LIGO Science Saturday from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Tours are offered at 1:15 p.m., 2 p.m., 3 p.m. and 4 p.m. at 19100 LIGO Lane, Livingston.
Strive Runner’s Camp sponsored by the Fellowship of Christian Athletes and the Oaks Church of Denham Springs is Monday through Friday at Walker High School's track. The camp is for students entering fifth through 12th grade. Cost is $30. Registration is on eventbrite.com. Search for STRIVE Runners Camp. For information, contact Melissa Wilkes by phone or text at (225) 268-1529 or by email at MelissaCWilkes@gmail.com.
A Louisiana Boating Education Course will be held from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. June 23 at Bass Pro Shop in Denham Springs. The class is mandatory for people born in 1984 or later to operate a boat. Visit register-ed.com/programs/louisiana/agency:9? to see classes and to register.
And do you canoe, kayak or paddleboard? A Paddle Sports Safety Course can be found at boaterexam.com/paddling/.