Central mayor: ‘We really dodged a bullet’ with flooding _lowres

Killian Police Chief Dennis Hill drives a humvee through floodwaters in Kings Point Marina, March 12, 2016, in Livingston Parish.

Advocate staff file photo by HILARY SCHEINUK

A grand jury indicted the former Killian police chief Thursday on a felony charge of malfeasance for allegedly billing the town for overtime he didn't work, according to Livingston Parish District Attorney Scott Perrilloux. 

The allegations against Dennis Hill arose from an investigative audit conducted by the state legislative auditor that was released last month. 

The audit said Hill billed for 35 hours of overtime — equivalent to $994 — from May 2015 to May 2017 for hours he didn't work. Social media posts and town fuel records indicate he was on vacation in Alabama and Florida during those hours. The overtime was funded by Louisiana Highway Safety Commission grants to conduct seatbelt checks and drunk driving stops.

In response to the overtime allegations, Hill told auditors that in one case he billed for hours when a reserve officer covered his shift. Because the LHSC requires officers to be POST certified, the town could not have gotten reimbursed for that officer's shift.

Hill faced a number of other accusations, including buying a suit on the town's credit card and not forwarding 76 traffic tickets to the Mayor's court. Perrilloux said his office presented all of the allegations to the grand jury, but the body decided to indict on just the one count.

He said that if found guilty Hill could face up to five years in prison. 

Hill, who had been chief since 2008, was fired by the town's board of aldermen on June 13 as the allegations surfaced. 

Hill was working as a road deputy for the Albany Police Department since last fall, Chief Russell Hutchinson confirmed. He was put on an indefinite unpaid leave after the indictment was handed down Thursday morning, Hutchinson said.

Hill's attorney did not respond to a message seeking request for comment.

He was booked into Livingston Parish Detention Center Thursday afternoon. Bail was set at $10,000.

Follow Caroline Grueskin on Twitter, @cgrueskin.