A crowd gathered at the Mississippi River landing Jan. 5 to hear West Feliciana Parish President Kevin Couhig greet them at a ceremony to unveil a Louisiana Historical Marker.
The monument, placed at the former ferry landing, honors longtime riverboat Capt. Phillip Morris Bennett Sr., who led the ferries from 1930 to 1965.
About five years ago, the parish government issued a proclamation naming the ferry landing for the captain.
St. Francisville Mayor Billy D'Aquila told how the captain and his wife reared nine children and praised them for serving the community and giving back to the two parishes in meeting transportation needs during the 1930s through the 1980s.
Upon retiring from the Louisiana Department of Transportation, Bennett turned the wheel over to his oldest son, Morris Jr., in the late 1960s.
Capt. Bennett's youngest daughter, Helen "Ruthie" Davis, thanked the city and parish officials, members West Feliciana Historical Society, friends and family who helped her with the application process to get the historical marker.
When the cloth was pulled off the marker, she invited all of the grandchildren, great-grandchildren and great-great-grandchildren, who were ages 82 to 2 years old, to join in a photo at the marker.
The West Feliciana Historical Society served refreshments after the unveiling, where some of Bennett's favorite personal items from his long career as master pilot of water vessels were on display.