More than halfway through the Oct. 23 weekly St. Francisville Farmers Market, farmers and buyers were chatting about locally grown foods and swapping stories and tips about gardening.
Although all of the tomatoes, okra and most of the greens had been sold, the four farmers at the market still had goat cheese, jams, jellies, some sweet potatoes, microgreens and herbs to offer.
The market is held weekly from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Thursdays and the offerings vary from season to season.
People looking for locally grown produce, homemade jams, jellies, cookies and local honey usually are not disappointed when they visit the farmers market located in the old livestock barns on Wilcox Street where parish and 4-H livestock shows were once held.
Like many small towns and even cities, St. Francisville has had a tradition of farmers markets. The old town hall at 9896 Royal St. was built in 1819 and originally housed a magistrate’s office above a farmers market hall before also serving as the town hall and a library.