PORT ALLEN — A 66-year-old man was killed Monday night after his small trailer home erupted in flames in what authorities say they suspect was an accidental fire.
Deputy Chief Brant Thompson of the State Fire Marshal’s Office said his investigation into the blaze is still in the early stages, but they suspect Jesse C. Gregoire, 932 Earnest Wilson Drive, died in fire that was caused by either faulty wiring or unextinguished cigarettes.
“The official cause is undetermined at this time, but investigators noted several ignition sources that included improperly connected extension cords and smoking materials,” Thompson said Tuesday morning.
He said Port Allen firefighters were called out to the fire around 11:30 p.m. Monday night.
Although the fire engulfing Gregoire’s 10x20 travel trailer was quickly extinguished, he was already dead when first responders arrived on the scene, Thompson said.
Thompson said the man suffered “significant thermal injuries,” but his exact cause of death would be determined by an autopsy scheduled later this week.