Addis girl, 1, electrocuted after touching exposed wires of air conditioning unit at apartment complex, authorities say _lowres

 

A 1-year-old Addis girl was electrocuted Monday while playing with other children outside the apartment complex where she lived, according to authorities in West Baton Rouge Parish.

Yancy Guerin, chief investigator with the West Baton Rouge Parish Coroner’s Office, said he believes Kristiana Tillman sustained the fatal injuries about 3 p.m. when she touched exposed wires on an outdoor air conditioning unit at an apartment complex in the 7500 block of Chad Avenue in Addis.

“The ground was wet and the baby was barefooted,” Guerin said Tuesday. “There was no cover on the unit.”

The child was found unresponsive in the adjacent yard to the apartment complex, he said.

“Her aunt started CPR when she found her and the baby started to respond,” Guerin said.

Addis Police Chief Ricky Anderson said police don’t suspect foul play but authorities are still looking into what happened.

“I do think it was piss-poor maintenance for someone to leave that unit exposed like that,” he said.

Anderson said the child was playing outside with several other children between the ages of 5 and 10.

“They were unattended by adults,” Anderson said.

Guerin added that the child’s mother had come home from work and was inside her apartment sleeping. Kristiana was left in the care of her aunt, he said.

“It’s my understanding the aunt went inside for a minute while she was baby-sitting when it happened,” Guerin explained.

Guerin said the child had burns on one of her hands. She was first transported to the Ochsner Medical Complex in Plaquemine and then flown to Our Lady of the Lake Hospital in Baton Rouge, where she was pronounced dead.

The Louisiana Department of Children and Family Services was contacted by West Baton Rouge Parish authorities.

Follow Terry Jones on Twitter, @tjonesreporter.