PLAQUEMINE — Officials are digging into what caused a pipe at Shintech’s Iberville Parish facility to rupture Saturday afternoon and briefly spew harmful chemicals.
The pipe — in a furnace area at Shintech’s facility on La. 405 just — burst just before 5 p.m. Saturday, according to a statement issued Saturday from the company. Chemicals that spilled from the pipe include vinyl chloride monomer, ethylene dichloride and hydrochloric acid.
Emergency crews immediately contained the leak, Shintech’s statement says. Officials briefly shut down La. 405 near the facility as a precaution to conduct air monitoring tests, though no off-site impact was detected.
The pipe malfunction did not ignite any flames, and no injuries were reported.
Shintech is a specialty chemical manufacturer and the U.S. operations of the Japanese firm are headquartered in Houston.