The first-degree murder trial of two cousins accused in the October 2015 robbery, beating, abduction and slaying of an elderly Highland Road couple has been pushed back from late next month to June.

Ernesto Llerena Alonso, 44, and Frank Garcia, 49, face life prison terms if found guilty as charged in the killing of Denis "Bubbie" Duplantier, 71, and Suzanne "Suzy" Duplantier, 70. Alonso and Garcia are being held without bail.

Their trial was delayed Monday at the request of the East Baton Rouge Parish Public Defenders Office, which represents Garcia. The New Orleans-based Capital Defense Project of Southeast Louisiana represents Alonso.

Alonso lived in an apartment above a barn on property owned by the Duplantiers and did landscaping work for them.

The couple's bodies were discovered Oct. 19, 2015, in the backseat of their red pickup at the Petro truck stop in Hammond. Alonso's white pickup was captured on surveillance video as it followed the Duplantiers' truck into the gas station.

A safe inside the Duplantier home was found open with cash missing. Investigators believe Alonso and Garcia went into the home and beat the couple to get the information needed to open the safe. Blood was found in several rooms, police have stated.

A large amount of cash and a number of unspecified items believed stolen from the Highland Road residence were discovered in Garcia's home in Florida, authorities have said. Alonso's truck also was recovered at Garcia's house.

After consulting with the victims' family, prosecutors announced in 2016 that they would not seek the death penalty in the case in order to speed up the process.

At a court hearing in the case earlier this year, attorneys raised the possibility of using two juries — one for Alonso and the other for Garcia — to try them simultaneously in the same courtroom.

Dwight Doskey, who represents Alonso, said Tuesday a dual-jury setup is still a possibility. Doskey said he has not filed a motion to sever Alonso's case from Garcia's.

Mike Mitchell, the chief public defender in East Baton Rouge Parish, said he will serve as Garcia's lead counsel. Mitchell said he requested the trial delay because he needed more time to investigate the case and prepare Garcia's defense.

The trial, which had been set to start Nov. 27, was rescheduled to June 18.

Follow Joe Gyan Jr. on Twitter, @JoeGyanJr.