The mother of a 4-year-old Baton Rouge boy who drowned in an abandoned sewer hole near his Robertson Avenue home in 2014 has settled her lawsuit against several parties.

"It was very fair to her," Lewis Unglesby, who represents Brittni Clark, said of the recent settlement over the death of Jassiah Clark.

Clark was initially booked on a count of negligent homicide after police accused her of leaving her son outside without adult supervision for several hours, but the East Baton Rouge Parish District Attorney's Office declined to prosecute her.

Unglesby and Martin Golden, an attorney for Grady Crawford Construction, declined to disclose the amount of the financial settlement. Golden confirmed that an insurance company for Grady Crawford Construction contributed to the settlement. 

The settlement also involved an insurer for CH2M Hill.

Unglesby would say only that "multiple insurance companies" created the settlement fund.

"There is no admission of liability by any of the several defendants sued by Ms. Clark, and many factors played a role in all parties' decision to settle the case," Golden said.

"As for my client, Grady Crawford Construction was saddened by the loss of this little boy's life from the day the news was first heard, and is glad the parties could settle their differences without the additional stress of a trial," he added.

The trial had been scheduled to begin March 13 in state District Judge Mike Caldwell's courtroom. 

The water-filled hole was 20 feet deep and located at a city-parish sewer pump station.

The city-parish, which was named as a defendant in the suit, did not contribute to the settlement because it was determined the city-parish was not at fault, Unglesby said.

Grady Crawford Construction, of Baton Rouge, was the independent contractor hired by the city-parish to demolish the pumping station. The city-parish contracted with CH2M Hill, of Englewood, Colorado, to be the project manager over the upgrading of the city's pumping stations.

Unglesby and District Attorney Hillar Moore III both have said the hole resembled a typical mud puddle. There were no signs, barricades or fencing around it at the time of the incident.

Jassiah was reported missing the night of Dec. 20, 2014, triggering a massive search with about 100 officers from several agencies, including the FBI. His body was recovered two days later.

Clark's attorneys have said the hole was first reported by city-parish inspectors in October 2014 and again by project inspectors two weeks before the fatal accident.

A contractor filled the opening with "flowable fill and sand" two months before the accident, a city-parish official has said, but a "migration of soils" occurred sometime between September 2014 and the incident.

Follow Joe Gyan Jr. on Twitter, @JoeGyanJr.